Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mourning and dancing

There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven:
a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance.

Ecclesiastes 3:1, 4

The past week has been pretty up and down emotionally for me. It has been a time to weep and mourn, as the fathers of two of my dear friends passed away within a few days of each other. Thankfully, both of these men were strong Christians, but one death was very sudden and the other came with just a month of warning. As with any loss, I am grieving with these friends--and from a distance since neither of them are local. In thinking about death and faith, I also listened to this powerful and heart-wrenching testimony last week.

But alongside the mourning, it has also been a time to laugh and dance, because one of my closest friends came to visit for a few days. Our time together was fun, meaningful and refreshing. And we literally danced several times during the weekend--Mandi introduced me to this, and I'm a big fan! Thanks for coming, Mandi. Love you!
In other news, this Saturday marks the day of my dad's MARATHON! I am thrilled that my parents, along with Monica and her kids and a couple extended family members will be in the area for this long-anticipated occasion. I am grateful to God that my dad has been able to not only train for this race, but that he feels pretty good right now. Through all the ups and downs, God is faithful!

7 comments:

Mom said...

Ah, the peaks and valleys of life -- the families of your friends who lost their dads are in my thoughts and prayers. And I'm so glad you and Mandi had a fun time together! :) Indeed God is faithful! Looking forward to seeing you soon -- love, Mom

Jenny said...

You have taken me on a journey of faith this morning. One full of reminders of all that I believe. For this I am thankful. I really enjoyed the talk/testimony given by Rachel. So glad you shared it.

Wendi said...

I am sad to hear of your friends loss. I found this post to very inspiring. God is certainly faithful!

Enjoy your time with your family.

Anonymous said...

Hi honey! Love you so much! I am praying for your friends during this time. I know it is heavy for you. Blessings on the rest of your week, my dear!

Mandi

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

We've had death hit our lives in the past week, too. Stinks, but I guess it serves as a reminder that we're not guaranteed tomorrow.

I'm so glad your dad is feeling well enough to do this marathon! That truly is a blessing!

Carmen said...

Love you, love Mandi, love Pandora. I'm sorry your week had some sadness in it but that makes the happier times that much happier.

Susan said...

Carrie,
I am sorry for your friends loss, I cannot imagine. You dad is such an inspiration, I am glad you will be there to cheer him on.