Monday, June 22, 2009

Our community garden

I realized that I haven't posted at all about our garden this year, and it's kind of a cool story. Our old house had a great space for a garden with rich soil and lots of sun, but our "new" yard is mostly shade (which is obviously nice for other reasons), and there was not an ideal place to plant here.

This past spring while Eric and I were deliberating about if and where to plant, I saw a poster introducing a new community garden in our area. Eric attended the informational meeting, we signed up and paid a nominal fee, and then we were set! Each family/individual was given a 10x20 plot, which is larger than we needed, so we are sharing our space with two other families.

It is so neat to see this formerly unused field alive with nourishing veggies! We planted peas, green beans, lettuce, spinach, potatoes, onions, green and red bell peppers and tomatoes. We've already had a bumper crop of the salad greens and are anxiously awaiting the readiness of the other goodies!

Thanks to Eric and Nathan for doing all the planting and weeding! (Their job is to grow the veggies, and mine is to prepare and serve them.) It's a great endeavor for our family, and even better to be doing so alongside other members of our small town.

10 comments:

Amy said...

What a fantastic idea! I have a tiny garden in my backyard, but I would definitely like to expand next year. That is such a great idea to have a community place to plant. Hope you can enjoy all that yummy produce this year!!

Mary Ann said...

I love this idea! We do a big garden with friends and then I usually plant a small amount here at home. This year I expanded the front flowerbed and filled it with veggie plants. I also decided to try a small corner in the back. The dog has done extremely well with it so I'll probably do another plot in the back next year.

I've always thought one of the boys I babysit looks a lot like Nathan. He's sitting on my lap right now and when he saw your profile pic, he said, "That's me and my mom!" LOL!!!

Wendi said...

What a wonderful idea!

Mom said...

This is such a great idea -- I'm glad it worked out so well for you! I was glad to see it for myself last week and will look forward to hearing more about your harvests as the season goes along! :) Love you, Mom

thehomespunheart said...

Love this! So fun to see your garden in person last week and enjoy some of your lettuce!

I picked a bowl full of potatoes and green beans last night!

Miss you...

Ginger said...

Good deal to teach Nathan so young~~

Glad you all had such a great time with family and your dad did so well in the marathon!

Rally said...

Fabulous! I absolutely love our garden as well. I am ready to be a little more comfotable tending to the garden, by getting rid of this belly of mine :). In the meantime, Rob and friends (who share the work and produce) are left with the majority of the work.

Our Lives said...

That sounds like a lot of fun as a family activity. I need to find out if we have a program like this in our town.

Jamie - Family Focused Fun said...

Oh that's fun! I have a few veggies planted. I'd rather do the gardening than the cooking honestly though! :-)

Jenny said...

I am finally catching up with fellow bloggers, this idea has really caught my eye. This is such a wonderful idea.