Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Recipe round-up

I have been on a major new recipe kick the last couple of weeks, and it's been fun to try some new dishes!

*For a recent dinner we hosted, I made a quick dressing for a simple but gorgeous salad of local greens and strawberries: 1/4 c. oil, 2 T. red wine vinegar, 1/4 c. sugar and 1 T. poppy seed. I also made a rhubarb strawberry dessert that received rave reviews. (Isn't it fun when that happens?!)

*My Father's Day attempt to recreate Eric's favorite restaurant was a little less successful. I tried a knockoff recipe of this soup, and though tasty, the flavor did not compare to the original. (This is Eric's opinion--I didn't have any because it contains sausage and bacon.) The bread I made was quite delicious, though! I received this recipe from one of those e-mail recipe exchanges, and can't remember who sent it:

Italian cheese bread

2 1/2 c. flour (I used 2 c. white, 1/2 c. wheat)
1 t. salt
1 t. sugar
1 T. quick-rise yeast
1 c. warm water (120-130 degrees)

Topping:
1/4 c. Italian salad dressing
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. ground oregano
1/4 t. dried thyme
1 T. grated Parmesan
1 c. shredded mozzarella

In a bowl, combine first six ingredients. Add flour if needed to form soft dough. Knead for 2 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in a greased bowl and let rise for 20 minutes.

Punch the dough down and place on a greased round pizza pan, and pat into a circle. Brush with salad dressing. Combine seasonings and sprinkle on bread. Then top with cheeses. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes.

*I'm hosting my MOPS group later this week and will be making this fabulous dessert (with homemade frosting), served with a delicious "spritzer" we recently tried at a friend's house. To make the beverage, mix equal parts cranberry cocktail and Diet Rite white grape soda in an ice-filled glass. So refreshing!

*I had some French vanilla creamer leftover from my friend Mandi's visit so I did a search on-line for recipes to use it up. I came across this blended coffee drink and it sounded perfect to share with a friend on a 90-degree day. It wasn't amazing--I tweaked it several times, adding coffee and chocolate syrup as the original seemed watery to me, but it was still fun to try.

Whew--that's a lot of new recipes in one week!

5 comments:

Christy@MercyEveryMorning said...

Oh, I love that pudding and graham cracker dessert! I made it recently and it was a hit. :)

Carrie said...

I still have your crockpot cranberry chicken recipe bookmarked to try (last fall...this fall?)! I almost want to ask that you stop sharing so that I won't feel like I'm falling even further behind! But it does sound really yummy!

Kendra said...

Wow...you are impressive! It sounds like you've been a wonderful hostess. I'm glad you've been having fun in the kitchen lately!

gail said...

mmmm! all those yummies are making my mouth water.

thehomespunheart said...

That bread sounds delicious! Sorry the soup wasn't as much of a success...I'm sure Eric appreciated the effort and idea!