Monday, July 6, 2009

Perspective

I've been thinking a lot lately about perspective.

One moment I'm complaining about my hair being frizzy or sticking to the back of my neck; the next moment I see a beautiful woman in our community who recently lost her long locks to chemotherapy.

One minute I'm trudging along in the tasks of my day; the next minute I'm reminded of Rachel, whose days are numbered, but who challenges us to serve with joy.

One moment I'm agonizing over the minor details of potty training; the next moment I'm confronted with truly oppressive problems so many people are facing, like poverty and injustice.

Sometimes I find it really difficult to live in this tension--I've been given so much, and too often I take it for granted. It's so easy for me to get caught up in my own life, and I'm praying that with His help I will be able to live beyond myself. I'm not always sure what that looks like, but I feel compelled to keep trying to figure it out.

With all of these thoughts swirling around in my mind, I flipped through the latest magazine from Compassion, in which there was a link to a cool Nooma video. If you're a Compassion sponsor, check your recent magazine for info on how to watch the video for free. Here's a quote from the production that stood out to me: "It's about never forgetting just what you've been given . . . Your overflow is someone else's necessity. May you find somebody who needs what you have only to discover that they have what you needed all along."

7 comments:

debra said...

I think we all feel like this at times. Sometimes it's more than we'd like. Most of us have been blessed with an abundance of everything. Unfortunately, we live in a time where sometimes it's hard to remember that. Just know you are not alone.

Hayley said...

Well said, my friend. Thank you.

Angela - Life w/ Two Busy Boys said...

Great reminder to everyone!

Katie said...

Thank you for this encouragement, Carrie. I catch myself on this very issue several times, and you put this important reminder into words beautifully. You always have a way of encouraging me to live my life in a way that is most pleasing to the Lord. Thank you!

I count you among my many blessings! Hope you are having a wonderful summer!

Katie

Carmen said...

Good reminders about perspective, Carrie. I need the reminders to spite where I work everyday...

I loved what Rob said in that Nooma video too.

carolyn said...

Well said, Carrie. I'm right there with you. I think Rachel Barkey's testimony is amazingly powerful and sums up beautifully the Gospel and our purpose.

It is too easy to forget and lose that perspective. One of my favorite C.S. Lewis metaphors is how we easily get satisfied with playing in the mud because we have no idea how great a day at the sea could be. May we never be satisfied with mud!

Can't wait to see you and family!

Stacy said...

I loved this post!