Friday, August 28, 2009

Linkadoos

I've found a few interesting sites lately that I wanted to share with you:

*Love this--next month, you can dine at a participating restaurant and some of the proceeds will be donated to end childhood hunger. (Obviously, you could also make a cash donation at any point to a program like this, but I thought this was a cool idea and a way to support businesses who are in turn supporting such a great cause!) Click here to find a participating restaurant near you.

*Did you know you can download a font that uses less ink than the usual Times Roman, Arial, etc.? Fascinating! Head over here to check it out.

*If you walk, run, swim or bike, then you have to check out this site. You can log your trekked miles and raise money for great causes like breast cancer research! I signed up in honor of my DAD, who just registered for yet another marathon (on Labor Day)!

*One of my favorite new sites is this one. I've had fun sending personalized (and free!) thank you notes for casual get-togethers. I also made special photo slideshows for the grandmas for Mother's Day. Cute designs, easy to use, and eco-friendly since it saves on paper and postage!

Now that I've shared a few of my new discoveries, I'd like to request your input on something:

We occasionally make pancakes on weekend mornings, usually with my husband's family recipe. (You can find that recipe here, along with my admission of pancake-phobia.) We recently decided to make a batch of "regular" pancakes, unfortunately made from store-bought Bisquick. Their taste and texture left something to be desired, but I was going for quick and easy. Thus, I'm wondering if any of you have tried-and-true recipes for homemade pancake mix? I'd love to keep a big jar of it handy!

Thanks for your help, and let me know if you check out any of the sites I mentioned above.

6 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Funny that we did similar posts today without knowing the other was going to! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie - First time commenting on your blog! If you go to thefamilyhomestead.com and on her left sidebar is a link to her blog. She just put up a couple of days ago a recipe for bulk pancake mix. It might be what you are looking for. Have a great day!!
Amy in NC

Mary said...

Did not know about the Ecofont...might be worth checking out!

We use King Arthur Flour's recipe for whole grain pancake mix. You can play with the ratios to get the taste and texture you like.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/homemade-whole-grain-pancake-mix-recipe

Marianna said...

That's funny that you and Monica didn't plan that. I totally thought you did. :)

venturingvanmarels said...

Have you seen www.hiskids.net? It's one I've bookmarked for Joanna when she's a bit older. I used to love listening to Adventures in Odessey when I was a kid and thought this site had some great programs for kids.
PS Smilebox is one of my favorites too.

kelseylynae said...

I've been meaning to let you know about a website run by google that one of my students introduced me to:

blackle.com

It is a search engine, but instead of being back lit it is mainly black, saving energy while you use it. On the front page under the search toolbar it shares how much energy is being saved. Interesting...if you can get used to the black backdrop.

Also, thanks for the "fore" lesson. Once you mentioned that I remembered seeing it spelled that way...whoops! I think I'll leave it, as it seems fitting to how little I know about golf :)

Big HELLO to everyone!