Monday, August 10, 2009

Strawberry jam-boree

Several weeks ago, a good friend and I went to a local strawberry patch, where I picked eight pounds of these beauties. For the first time on my own, I made delicious freezer jam (as well as a delectable pie!) I was amazed at how easy the jam-making process is. Plus, it's cheaper than storebought and tastes so much better!
I made two different batches: the recipe on the back of the pectin box (left), and the version from this cookbook, which uses a package of strawberry gelatin. I can't imagine we'll run out of jam before next summer, but if we do, I read a tip in a frugal book to just buy frozen strawberries, as it's still cheaper to make your own jam.

8 comments:

Mom said...

Looks yummy -- good job! Let us know which recipe you prefer -- love, Mom

thehomespunheart said...

Great job! I love the look of homemade jam in a cute mason jar!! :)

David has been raving for the past two months about the homemade jam around here - I don't know that I'll be buying it at the store anymore!

Look forward to talking to you this afternoon!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Yummy!

Funny you should post this. I just bought a canning book this weekend, and I'm trying to decide if canning is something I want to try. Freezer recipes are the easy starters for me, but I'm considering going the traditional method involving boiling. But the materials for it are a little pricey if I'm not sure if I'll like it or not...

Wendi said...

Looks great!

Anonymous said...

good job carrie :) not much is better than homemade strawberry jam, especially with berries picked by you!!

lisa

Jamie - Family Focused Fun said...

Yum...it was so good! I've never made any kind of jam before either. I feel inspired to try something new! We have peach trees at our new house but didn't get much of a crop this year (we didn't give them much pruning or care with just moving in!) Maybe next year I can try out something with peaches!

Eight Isn't Enough said...

Looks great and I'm sure will taste the same. There truly is nothing better than homemade jam and the joy of knowing you made it.

Kara K said...

Lance and I went through 10 lbs of strawberries (plus strawberry picking!) this spring making freezer jam. I gave my MIL some and she said it had too much sugar. How's that for gratitude!!?