Friday, August 21, 2009

Summer food

The other night we had the *perfect* summer meal: kabobs with chicken, green pepper and fresh pineapple (all brushed with teriyaki sauce); green beans (with olive oil, garlic and pepper) and sweet corn. Delish!

The beans and green pepper were from our garden, and the corn was locally grown, so that made it even better. To top it all off, we enjoyed the perfect easy summer dessert: ice cream!

A couple notes about kabobs:

*I know a lot of people use the wooden skewers, but there's a greener, more thrifty alternative: metal skewers. I paid a couple dollars for a set of 4, and I plan to buy another set for when we have guests. They're easy to clean and don't have to be pre-soaked like the wooden kind!

*A friend taught me to put all the meat on one, and fruits/veggies on separate ones since meat takes longer to cook. The kabobs don't look as festive this way, but I prefer this method since I'm not a fan of charred anything. Happy grilling!
What do you put on your kabobs? Any other tips about making them?
By the way, did you know you can spell it kabob or kebab, and they're both correct?! Strange.
photo credit: mache

8 comments:

Kendra said...

Yum...definately one of my favorite summer meals!! I love a kabob recipe from Kraft that Eric may not be able to enjoy. The marinade is a BBQ sauce and OJ concentrate mix. So light and summery! I also put pineapple and peppers on the kabob. Mmmmmmm. :)

thehomespunheart said...

I love the metal skewers - we have two sets! I haven't made kabobs in a while - mmmm, good idea!

Wendi said...

Kabob's are so much fun! Our favorite is teriyaki chicken tenders. I admit that I use the wooden skewers. Even though I soak them the ends always burn. I was worried that the metal ones would hold heat for a longer time.

Mom said...

Kabobs are one of our favorite summer meals, too -- and like you, we prefer metal skewers and put only one kind of thing on each skewer. Yummy! Love you, Mom

...they call me mommy... said...

Looks so good, Carrie! Would you believe that I've never done kabobs!?? Definitely need to try it! Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Blessings!
Amy

(((((HUGS))))) sandi said...

OH YUM! I haven't visited in such a long time and really enjoyed catching up! and HEY~how much do you charge for your strawberry jam? ~smile~ Looks DELECTIBLE! (((((HUGS))))) sandi

Kara K said...

Hi Carrie,
I use a fantastic asian teriyaki marinade that I use w/ soy sauce, honey, minced ginger, minced garlic and canola oil. I'll email you the recipe, it's so delish!

PS - the ashtray cake had pretzel sticks dipped in white chocolate for ciagrettes and crubmled oreo cookies for ashes. So gross ... yet edible.

venturingvanmarels said...

Our favorite kabobs are similar. Check out http://www.kraftfoods.com/kf/recipes/sweet-bbq-chicken-kabobs-92092.aspx. I usually made them the night before we were mixing up more OJ for breakfast.