Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Go fish

Last year I came across a cute idea for making a fun alphabet fishing game, and I tore out the page and tucked it away for reference. When my sister-in-law told me she was planning a fish-themed birthday party for my nephew, Zachary, I knew this would make a very appropriate gift!

Though the idea is a simple one, my challenge was that I only had a week to put it together, and I didn't have the necessary materials. I knew my wood-working father-in-law would have plenty of dowels, string, and hooks, but I wasn't sure where I would find 26 juice lids in a short amount of time. I initially listed a request on Freecycle, but after several days, no one had responded. I racked my brain, trying to think of who might have this kind of stuff laying around. Then it hit me: preschool teachers!

I e-mailed my friend Becky, and she totally came through for me. Yay! I purchased some cute stickers from one of my favorite stores, and we were set. Unfortunately, we ran out of time at the party to try the game out, but I hope Zachary and his sisters will enjoy it!

9 comments:

Hayley said...

Cute idea, Carrie!
I've been looking for things to do with my pre-school aged twins, and this could work really well. Now....where can I find some lids?? :)

Mom said...

Great idea! I'll save juice lids for you to do this again (or give to Hayley!) -- love, Mom

...they call me mommy... said...

Wonderful idea, Carrie! Thanks for passing it on! :) I HEART FAMILY FUN!!! :D

Kendra said...

This was so cute. I will start saving juice lids so I can do this when Addie is old enough!

gail said...

great idea! and great problem solving skills =)

Wendi said...

Great idea! I can't wait to make one of these. Megan is going to love it!

thehomespunheart said...

That turned out very cute, Carrie! Great job at using your resources!

Jan said...

How adorable is that! Wish I had known about it back when I saved juice lids....and had small children. :) Fishing games will always be popular.

Amy said...

That is such a cute idea, Carrie! I love it!