Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Recipe round-up

I've tried lots of new recipes lately, and I wanted to pass them on for your enjoyment!


*Wendi recently posted about making zucchini banana bread, and since I had both of those main ingredients on hand, I thought I'd give it a try. I noticed a commenter said they'd added chocolate chips, and boy, was that a great idea. Loved this recipe!


*Mer posted a hummus recipe that she had tweaked from the original. I tweaked it yet again, and here's my version. Just mix all ingredients and enjoy.


1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), reserve liquid
1/8 t. ground red pepper
1/2 t. cumin
2 t. minced garlic
1 1/2 T. tahini
4 T. olive oil
1 T. lemon juice


*My friend Kelly recently moved overseas and due to the high cost of meat, she asked me for some vegetarian inspiration. I definitely think you can omit or decrease the amount of chicken called for in many dishes. (I decrease the amount of chicken called for in almost all recipes!) But here's a meatless entree from our regular rotation:


White Beans with Pesto


3 c. Great Northern beans (about 1 1/2 cans)
1/3 c. pesto (or a prepared packet of Knorr's)
1/2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
egg noodles


Place beans in ovenproof dish. Add pesto and stir. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Sprinkle with cheese and bake a couple more minutes. Serve over egg noodles. Super easy!


A couple other meatless dinners we like are Indonesian rice and potato soup. And since I know she can buy lentils super-cheap, this is my favorite way to eat them.


*If you have a stockpile of zucchini, you should try this casserole recipe that Monica recently shared with me. I also tried her roasted potatoes--very tasty.


*This "desperation brownie" Jamie posted awhile back is decadence in a mug! Here's my version--this makes an individual serving.


1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
2 T. cocoa
1 1/2 T. oil
2 T. water


Mix ingredients well in a large coffee mug, and microwave for about a minute. I then topped the brownie with a scoop of ice cream, making it an even more delicious treat!


*Has anyone else tried this homemade Frosty? Maybe I did something wrong, but I was not very pleased with the initial results. I thought it needed to be thicker and more flavorful, so I added a couple scoops of cookies & cream, and that did the trick.


*We're still harvesting tomatoes, and I found another yummy recipe that uses several in-season veggies. I dipped these (sea salt flavor) into the fresh salsa--a wonderful complement! Another tomato recipe I tried was inspired by this yummy dish. Since I was out of olive oil, I subbed this for the homemade dressing and was quite pleased with the taste.


*This carrot side dish was a huge hit at my house. My changes: I omitted the oil, and cooked the pecans alongside the carrots. I also left out the chili powder, as I wanted the taste to stay sweet instead of spicy.

Whew--that's a lot of new recipes. I go in waves where I enjoy trying new things, and other times I just stick for awhile with old standbys.

7 comments:

Brandon & Kelly said...

Yeah! Thanks Carrie. Can't wait to try some of these.

Brie said...

Thanks for sharing those. Some sound very good and I'll definitely have to try them.

Your version of the hummus is very similar to a recipe I came across not too long ago and it is quite tasty! I also found an easy recipe for homemade pitas that go great with it.

Wendi said...

Glad that you enjoyed the bread. I will be trying it with the chocolate chips next time.

Kendra said...

You've been a busy woman in the kitchen! I'm very impressed! :)

Jamie - Family Focused Fun said...

Thanks for linking me..I'm glad you liked the brownie in a mug! I have actually tried the homemade frosty and mine turned out kind of watery. I was thinking maybe I needed to adjust the proportions or something? They were alright but not quite what I would call a frosty! :-) If you perfect them let me know the secret!

Mom said...

Look like a great bunch of new recipes! We roasted potatoes out of our garden this week -- yum!
I think I'll try the banana zucchini bread and glazed carrots this weekend. :) Love you, Mom

...they call me mommy... said...

Thanks! These look wonderful! :)