Friday, November 20, 2009

Simplify Your Time: Part 3

You can find the other two posts in this series by clicking here.


The third part of the book is about time management skills. Here are some of the things I noted from section 3:


*I totally connected with a story the author told about going to the home of a mom with two young boys. The mother basically said that she felt busy all the time, but she never seemed to get to certain household tasks, and she certainly wasn't finding time to do hobbies she enjoyed. The young mom asked the author what was the matter with her, and Ramsland replied, "Nothing's wrong. You're just in the busiest time of a mother's life, trying to juggle the constant interruptions of children with your vision of what 'should' be accomplished in a day." Preach it! The author suggested that the young mom keep a log of her time log for one week so she could discover blocks of time she didn't even know she had. If you're interested in this activity, you can actually print off a copy of the time log from Ramsland's site by clicking here.


*I like Ramsland's reminder that we need to be proactive when we feel overwhelmed. She suggests cutting back on your schedule, asking friends and family for help and lowering your expectations. That third one is the one I most struggle with, as I usually feel like I should be able to get everything done on my list.


*Ramsland's Website has several resources you might be interested in, including this chart that gives ideas for helping children learn to be organized through their various ages and stages.

The fourth and final section of the book is about time saving strategies:

*I am inspired by this statement: "The best way to accomplish more is to get right to the important tasks." It's not profound, just a simply-stated truth. I don't do a great job with prioritizing tasks, especially when I'm busy, and this helps remind me to focus and "trim the fat"!

*I was intrigued by the chapters on goals, because I rarely write them. I always have project lists, but that's not the same thing. Ramsland defines a goal as a "compelling intention" and says that goals help focus your energy. She also says goals should be SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and tangible). I'm curious how many of you write goals, whether at the new year or anytime?

*In a similar section (and the final chapter), Ramsland talks about finding your purpose. She says that "you generally discover your purpose just by doing what you love to do." She gives the following questions as a tool to help reveal your purpose: What part of my life do I enjoy the most? What is that I do that other people appreciate? What don't I like to do? What would I do if I didn't get paid to do it? What would be the highest compliment I could receive from someone? These are questions I would like to continue to mull over, but several of my initial answers have to do with stewardship and homemaking. That's exciting to me, and I hope to think more about this stuff soon. If a specific question (and answer) jumps out at you, I'd love to hear your response.

Writing these posts has really helped me process the information I learned in this book. I hope the principles will continue to make a difference in my life--and maybe yours, too!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Another good post on this topic, Carrie. :) The question that jumps out at me is "What part of my life to I enjoy the most?" My answer would be time with my family -- time in the evening and on weekends with Dad, and special times together with you, Monica, and your sweet families. Time with my sisters and my mom when possible. Almost everything else I do is directly or indirectly related to that -- even cleaning the house because it makes the time spent together more enjoyable in pleasant surroundings. I'm looking forward to spending time with you in a few days! :) Love, Mom

Huskerbabe said...

Thanks Carrie. I'm going to use some of this info when I talk at MOPs in January.

KellyVM said...

Oh how I love premade charts. :) Thanks for these links. I especially like the one for kids. Recently Joanna has helped put dishes away. I wash, Brandon dries, and Joanna can put away all the plastic ware. I arranged our cupboards here so those items are low and there is one basket for all the lids. The cupboard has become a bit more unorganized than I would keep it, but it's Joanna's cupboard and she's so proud when she can put things away. :)