Friday, December 11, 2009

Advent wreath

I've been wanting to make an advent wreath for over a year, and finally got around to it while my mom was visiting over Thanksgiving. She brought along a wreath form (purchased here) and then we went to HL to "spruce" it up. I knew I wanted cranberries, and was excited to see that all the holiday greenery was 50% off. The cost of all the materials, including candles, was less than $15! More importantly, it was super easy to put together, and I love how it turned out. Yay!

I found some devotions on-line to accompany the candle lighting. (I'm sorry, I tried to find the link and was unsuccessful, but a Google search will provide numerous options.) When our kids are a little older, I'd like to do daily readings using Christ in Christmas: A Family Advent Celebration as a guide.
**************

As you continue in this holiday season, I wanted to share the following quote. I posted it a couple of years ago, but it's definitely worth posting again:

"May our decorations, gifts and festivities--or lack of them--never block our view of Him but always point us toward Him." Noel Piper, Treasuring God in Our Traditions
For more thoughts on simplifying Christmas, I did a series of posts last December inspired by the book Unplug the Christmas Machine: A Complete Guide to Putting Love and Joy Back into the Season.

5 comments:

Mom said...

It was fun to be part of creating this Advent wreath for your family -- it turned out great and I hope you enjoy it for many years! Love, Mom

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

It's beautiful, Carrie! You guys did a great job.

Katie said...

Looks wonderful! :-) Cute picture too!

thehomespunheart said...

That's cute, Carrie - I'm glad you and Mom got to do that together and that you like it! :)

Jamie - Family Focused Fun said...

Cute picture and pretty wreath! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!! Blessings!