Friday, December 18, 2009

Good reads: Christmas edition

I've been on the lookout for children's books that focus on the values I deem most important at Christmastime: telling the story of Jesus' birth, being with loved ones, and an emphasis on giving rather than receiving.

I wanted to share some winners I've found thus far:

The Story of Christmas by Patricia Pingry
The Stable Where Jesus Was Born by Rhonda Gowler Greene
Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale by Martin Waddell
Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma Wilson
The Tale of Three Trees: A Traditional Folktale by Angela Elwell Hunt
The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado
Who Is Coming to Our House? by Joseph Slate
Mortimer's Christmas Manger by Karma Wilson

And here are a few titles I would like to check out--I'd love to hear if you have other suggestions:

One Baby Jesus: A New Twelve Days of Christmas by Patricia Pingry
What Is Christmas? by Michelle Medlock Adams
On This Special Night by Claire Freedman

Happy holiday reading!

5 comments:

Mom said...

This looks like a great list of books! Some of them must be newer -- the only one I've heard of is "The Tale of Three Trees." Remember the book we had when you were little, "The Night Before Jesus?" I'm taking it to Monica's this year to share there, but will be happy to share with your family another time! Love you, Mom

Wendi said...

The Story of Christmas is a favorite around here. I a pumpkin book by Patricia Pingry and I find that I really like her books.

thehomespunheart said...

We have the one you pictured and The Crippled Lamb - both great! I'll have to check out some of the others you mentioned!

Our favorite reads this year have been The Advent Book and What God Wants for Christmas (we did this at the cabin last year where there are little boxes to open with the story)

The others we've been enjoying aren't very spiritual in nature! :)

Carrie said...

I actually have only read one of the books on your list! The Tale of Three Trees (which we own). I haven't read The Crippled Lamb but you're the second person who has spoken highly of it so I'd like to check it out.

I think I know of one you might very well like and it's a new release by Zonderkidz. It's called Tiny Baby Jesus and I reviewed it at 5 Minutes for Books. Here is the link:

http://www.5minutesforbooks.com/2096/christmas-for-babies/

I'd never seen a picture book quite like this one that tied the whole story of who Jesus was in the story of his birth. It's very well done and, I think, worth looking for.

Anyway, I'll definitely have to look up The Crippled Lamb. Thanks for the suggestions!

Kristin said...

Looks like a great list! I'll have to keep my eye peeled for these to add them to our collection. Do you actually own these, or have you been able to find them at the library?

Thanks for sharing your finds!

Love,
Kristin