Monday, December 21, 2009

Nathan's birthday celebration

Yesterday was Nathan's birthday. I feel so cliche saying it, but I can hardly believe he's 3! We had a special weekend together. Saturday morning we invited several of his friends over, and had a fun train-themed party. I created train invitations using clip-art I found on-line, and copied text I saw on a list of train birthday ideas: "All aboard the birthday express: Nathan's turning 3, please be our guest."

Mostly the kids just played together with the trains we'd set out, including a new Thomas one, courtesy of my Aunt Mary. (It was quite the hit!) I also made train-shaped sugar cookies, and set out 5 colors of frosting and 5 kinds of sprinkles so the kids could each decorate their own train. I put personalized labels (using this fun train font!) on little bags so they could take their cookie home with them.
Special thanks to Eric for helping me put the train cake together. This was my inspiration, and I totally underestimated how long it would take to create! While certainly not a professional job, I thought it turned out pretty well. The funny thing is that of course the kids only looked at it for a minute or two before we cut it up and ate it. (And there weren't even leftovers!)
Nathan had a lot of fun at his little party and received many generous gifts. We'd asked people who wanted to give a present to bring a recycled toy their child was ready to pass on, and it was fun to see what he received.

On Sunday, Nathan got to have breakfast in bed, as is the tradition Eric and I started for each other several years ago. He got a kick out of Mommy, Daddy and Natalie also eating in his room. We were traveling on his first and second birthdays, so it was kind of fun to be home this time.
Thanks to all our loved ones who called or sent birthday greetings!

Nathan, we are thankful for you and love you very much. We appreciate your desire to learn, your sensitive spirit, and your sharp mind. Happy birthday, son!

11 comments:

Mom said...

Happy Birthday, Nathan! We are glad you had a special birthday celebration. We love you very much! Love, Grammie and Grandpa O

Wendi said...

The cake is adorable! Love the idea of a recycled toys for birthday gifts. Clever! Happy Birthday, Nathan.

Sara said...

Yay for Nathan! Ollie is obsessed with trains (Thomas) as well - what a great idea for the party and the cake is so cute. I'm hoping to call you guys during this break - we hope the Andersons have a very merry Christmas!

Carrie said...

=) You did a great job! Thomas is a favorite around here as well.

Happy Birthday to Nathan!

thehomespunheart said...

Cute! Love the cake and it was fun to talk to the Birthday Boy!

Katie said...

Happy Birthday to Nathan...yea! What a cutie.

(We celebrated my twin aunts' 60th birthday this weekend who also had a birthday yesterday.) =)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I just love it. Bravo with the b-day post and that cake...you win the prize, again. :) You'll be in Michigan when you read this!! Love you so much!

M.S.

KellyVM said...

The cake looks incredible Carrie! Way to go. I'm sure Nathan will love looking back at pictures of it for many years to come. Happy Birthday Nathan!
PS - Safe travel to Michigan. I hope the weather doesn't hinder your plans.

Leanne said...

how wonderful!! our house LOVES trains, too!! They make little girl trains in the Thomas Line! You'll have to keep that in mind:)
Have a wonderful Christmas!

Carmen said...

Very creative, Carrie. His friends may have only looked at his cake for a short time but you have the photo of Nathan looking at it which shows how much he loved it! You made his day very special.

Kim said...

Love the cake!!
Your little one and I share the same bday to! Love having a bday near Christmas.:-)