Monday, January 25, 2010

Birthday re-cap

Yesterday was my 31st birthday. We mostly celebrated on Saturday, due to some church commitments, but it worked out well since I wasn't feeling great on Sunday.

In keeping with our tradition, Eric made me breakfast in bed (fruit and monkey bread, at my request). I got to have lunch with a dear friend, and supper with just my husband. Nice! At supper, Eric said he didn't have anything planned, and asked what I wanted to do. I said playing games would be fun, but didn't add that I would be thrilled to go to bed early since I'd been awake since 5. (Ahem, Natalie!)


After we got home from our meal, we were hanging out in the living room when the doorbell rang. I answered it, and a friend from church was standing on the porch with a plate of cookies. I of course invited her in, but I was flustered, because I wasn't expecting anyone, and I was also heading upstairs to put Natalie to bed. So I'm afraid I wasn't a very gracious hostess! While I was feeding Natalie, I was trying to listen for additional knocks or voices, but I heard none. Back in the living room, we sat around talking for awhile, and then the doorbell rang again. This time, eight women arrived at once! I was pretty confused, especially because it was a fairly random mix of people!


Eric stumped me again. (He has a knack for that, don't you think?) He invited a dozen women from church to come over for games; in addition to lots of talking, we played this and this. He'd also encouraged them to bring lots of snacks--and that they did. My goodness! There was no way I could sample everything, but a friend who makes cakes as a profession brought a carrot cake that I couldn't pass up. And someone else made caramel Rice Krispy treats. Delish!

It was a great night, and I am thankful for Eric's thoughtfulness. It was also fun to hear the details of the plan and read the e-mails he'd sent. Clever and sneaky! And when I accused him of lying (Remember he'd said he had no plans?), he assured me he said he had no plans for us. Tricky!

As if that wasn't enough, Eric still hadn't given me my official present--you may recall we give each other "experiential gifts"--and on Sunday, I opened an envelope to find this:
Isn't that hilarious? Eric and his brother created a spoof of this popular movie poster. It's too perfect--look at our names! Carolyn is someone Eric met through our community garden, and she agreed to spend a morning with me, either teaching me about canning or helping me work on bulk meal prep--my choice. Isn't that awesome?! I love the idea, and this poster totally makes me smile. Thank you so much, Eric!

Many people helped make it a special weekend, and I am grateful. I also took the time to re-read all the amazing comments I received last year when Eric invaded my blog, and it was encouraging once again. Thanks again to all who shared kind words!

In talking about birthdays, I have to mention something cool: last year, my mom shared my "birthverse" with me. There is a website that has assigned a Scripture passage to every date. For example, since my birthday is 1/24, my verse is Jude 1:24 "To Him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before His glorious presence without fault and with great joy." Isn't that neat?! Go look up your verse!

14 comments:

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Wow, he really goes all out for you! What a sweet husband you have! Happy (belated) birthday!

erin said...

he is so creative . . . how will he top himself next year? :)
I'm so glad you had such a fun day! I love it when birthdays conveniently fall on the weekend.

Wendi said...

Love the gift from Eric. I always enjoy learning something new from someone who is experienced. Glad you had a great birthday!

Kristin said...

I'm so glad you had a fun birthday! We wish we could have been part of it too, especially since you weren't feeling well on Sunday. I'm glad Eric was able to pull of a nice surprise for you...I never knew such creativity was in my brother!!

We'll have to catch up again soon! Love you!
Kristin

Kendra said...

That is so awesome! What a neat day. Being his favorite sister (ahem, Kristin), :) I have seen his creativity at work over the years. It is fun to see how he so perfectly plans surprises that fit YOU just right!

thehomespunheart said...

So glad to hear about your day! Love the poster - that is a classic and a fun idea too! Didn't know you were wanting to learn to can?

And, how fun to have the ladies over for games! Looking forward to talking to you today!

Mom said...

Dear Carrie -- so glad you had a fun birthday celebration thanks to your creative husband! Love the poster! :) Hope you are feeling better now. Lots of love, Mom

angie said...

Happy Birthday, Carrie! You were treated so well by your husband. I love the idea for the experiential gifts, particularly this one. He had to put so much more thought into this than simply buying something off of the shelf.
Let us know which option you choose with Carolyn.

Carmen said...

I love the way you guys celebrate birthdays!

Katie said...

Love the poster! :)

Glad to hear you had a fun birthday!!

Allison said...

You truly have a great husband! What a fun treat to be in fellowship with great friends. I wish I lived closer to be in on the fun:). Glad it was a great 31st!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Carrie!

Your gifts were awesome!!! Friends, food, games, and alone time with your husband? Priceless.

Anonymous said...

Hi Carrie:

So glad you had a fun birthday celebration. Sorry you were not feeling well on your actual birthday, though.

I knew your clever husband would come up with something special for you.

Love, Grandma

Amy said...

That is SUCH a cute gift- ha! Happy birthday again and congrats on accomplishing your to-do list too. I am so PROUD of you!! :) ((hugs))