1. I don't like using overhead lights, especially at night, and I prefer natural light as much as possible during the day.
2. Kiwi used to be my favorite fruit, but I hadn't had one for probably a couple years until Eric sliced one up for my birthday breakfast in bed. (What a sweetie!) While I was overseas in college, I learned from a Frenchman that you can eat kiwi fruit with the skin on. Kinda funny, since the peel is furry, but I've done it a few times. My current favorite fruit is definitely fresh pineapple!
3. Speaking of pineapple, I recently read about this gadget, and decided to purchase one using some of my birthday money! It's in the mail right now, but I'll let you know soon what I think.
4. Sometimes I really enjoy eating a meal by myself at home--not so much at restaurants, although I've done it several times. A few years ago, I had lunch by myself at Applebee's as kind of a personal challenge. And even though I brought a book to read, I still felt awkward/silly.
5. I truly love practical gifts. My friend Mandi and I were laughing about this recently, because we are totally different in this regard. One of my favorite birthday presents was these pens (my long-time favorite, a splurge compared to basic Bics or freebies)--thanks, Grandma!
6. Along the lines of #5, my friend Sara gave me a roll of this when it first came out. I use it very sparingly, and she will laugh out loud when she reads this, because I've had that same box for over 6 years now! (She knew when she gave it to me that I'd been wanting to try it, but wouldn't spend the money--in my opinion, that is a fabulous kind of present!) Sadly, the roll is almost gone, so if anyone has a coupon, feel free to send it my way. =)
7. OK, well, maybe this list is turning into a theme of my quirky favorite gifts. Because while typing this, I just realized I hadn't yet shared about a fabulous package my sister-in-law, Kristin, sent me for Christmas. I'm a fan of Trader Joe's, but rarely have a chance to shop there. A friend got me hooked on this delicious snack, and Kristin sent me two packages of them, in addition to all this other fun loot. Love it!
8. I have a bad habit of looking at the clock when I (inevitably) wake up in the middle of the night. I then have an even worse habit of doing the math in my head of how many hours of sleep I've gotten, how much sleep I might get before Natalie wakes up, etc. Naturally, these calculations probably cause me to get less sleep on some occasions. The phrase "Don't lose sleep over it" comes to mind . . .
9. Last fall, I read on my friend Leah's blog that she only subscribes to as many blogs as she is years old. I thought that was an interesting idea and decided to follow suit. Thanks to a recent birthday, I was able to add a new one to my reader: this was my selection, a thought-provoking blog I just discovered a couple weeks ago.
10. I smiled when I saw a recent article called "You're so organized" I recently had coffee (correction: a caramel steamer--I don't like coffee!) with several acquaintances, and after launching into a description of my reusable trip packing list, one of the girls raised her eyebrows at me, and said "Wow, you must be really organized!" Well, I try. But as we all know, everybody has their trouble spots! Last week, Eric and I finally attacked our guest room closet, which had become a total catchall disaster. Eric was in shock when we pulled everything out and covered two twin beds with the contents, especially since it's a pretty small closet! After much sorting and removing, I'm happy to say it looks a ton better.
Thanks for hosting, Mer! If you survived reading my list and are hankering for more, click here. =)