Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Birthday recap

The kids and I drove to Kansas City last week and enjoyed several days with my parents, two aunts and grandma. It was especially fun to celebrate Natalie's first birthday together. (Thanks, by the way, to all who sent greetings!) Here she is in her darling "birthday girl" t-shirt--thanks, Grammie!
Our little party was in the evening (invites pictured at top of post), with a dinner of flower-shaped foods. We used flower-shaped cookie cutters (thanks, Katie!) to make turkey and cheese sandwiches, and through an on-line search, I discovered that Barilla makes flower-shaped pasta, which was perfect for homemade mac and cheese.
I also knew I wanted to make a flower cake using cupcakes. Once again, I found some inspiration on the Internet and here is our simple but tasty result:
Natalie grabbed her cupcake and devoured it immediately! She especially loved the frosting. =)
In addition to the birthday festivities, we enjoyed lots of hanging out. Here are the kids snuggling with my parents:
I'm so bummed Nathan's not smiling in this pic, but wanted to share a photo of my aunt who will be moving to South America next month. Her upcoming departure was the main reason for us gathering at this time, so it was even more special to be together. We love you, Mary!

Finally, we posed for a picture (nice smiles, kids!) with Grandma/Nana before we parted ways. Saying goodbye is never easy, but we are grateful for the time we had together!

14 comments:

Mom said...

What a blessing to be together and make new memories! Natalie's birthday party was so cute -- great theme! :) Thank you for making the trip -- love to all, Mom/Grammie

Mrs. Claus said...

Love the "flower shaped" pasta! Just adorable.

Katie said...

Wow, what a neat flower-filled, springtime birthday party ~ fun!!
How neat that the cookie cutter was a help. :-) And the cake you came up with ~ darling!

Love all the cute pics ~ thanks for sharing!

thehomespunheart said...

Super fun! I loved seeing all the details and the pix of family!!! So glad she had such a fun day!!

Love you,
Monica

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Wow, your kids are so big now! I can't get over how much older Nathan looks!

angie said...

I love the flower cupcake idea! I like to make cupcakes for my kids' burthday parties, because they are more kid-friendly than cake. Also, I am not a cake decorator! But the flower idea is do-able, with such cute results.

Wendi said...

Simple and cute party! Just the way I like it. Enjoyed seeing the pictures, especially Natalie eating the cupcake!

Carmen said...

You throw the best theme parties! Glad you got to see your family! Can't believe Natalie is one already.

Lisa said...

I am going to be using that cupcake flower idea! That is too cute!

gail said...

how fun! love that pink b-day shirt =) and of course, she loved the frosting!!!

where in south america? is she doing missions? or something else? we still want to live in brazil someday .....

Hayley said...

Great pics, Carrie! I just love the flower themed idea.....so clever! Glad you had a wonderful time with family.

Kara K said...

Love your little family Carrie!

PS - the FO soup is totally do-able, just a matter of onion slicing!

Our Lives said...

Happy birthday to little Natalie! Looked like you had a great time celebrating with your family. The presentation of the food looked great and creative! My little one just turned two on the 19th. Time goes by so fast.

Anonymous said...

I love the pics - you've outdone yourself with the flowers! :)

Thanks for the chat.
Mando