Friday, May 14, 2010

The Ministry of Motherhood

Several months ago I read this post, which led me to this one, where I was blown away by the letter written by another mother of young kids. I connected with--and was convicted by--several things she said. Near the bottom of her letter, I read this: "I'm halfway through with Ministry of Motherhood - reading it is like having a loving mentor by my side teaching me how to be a Godly Mom. One who is real and genuine and humble and full of stories and who doesn't always have all the answers but has a lot of them and knows the one who does have them all." That quote, buoyed by the rest of this precious woman's testimony, nudged me to order the book on-line that same day.


I recently finished the book, and wanted to share some of my favorite quotes with you.


*The tag line alone is inspirational: "Following Christ's example in reaching the hearts of our children." May it be so, Lord!


*"This commandment [to love God and our neighbors] sums up the first gift we can give to our children--the desire and ability to understand and receive the grace of God and to give it to the rest of the world."


*"As I look to the hearts of my own children and seek to teach them about the grace of God, I realize my love and service to them must come before any of my great words, my teaching and training."


*"As mothers and fathers, it is so easy to get distracted by the details of our lives. We have so much to do! We must feed our children well and take care of their health. We must oversee their education and their training to make sure they will be able to take care of themselves and live in a civilized society. We train them in righteousness so they may understand how God wants them to live. We try to relate to them in mature ways and help them learn to have healthy relationships.

Yet often, I think, we get lost in these multitudinous tasks that rule our lives, and we lose sight of the underlying purpose behind all these tasks, which is to prepare our children to go into the world and make disciples for our Lord."

*"'The Holy Spirit is in your life to give you His strength in these situations so that you can reflect His supernatural responses to life's demands. It's natural to let life irritate you and to get angry. It is supernatural to be patient and loving and gracious. That's really the secret to the Christian life--to learn to yield our lives and our emotions and our actions moment by moment to Him.'" How often I choose the "natural" choice, though I want so much to yield my selfish tendencies!

*As I've mentioned my discouragement in training Nathan, I appreciated Clarkson's reminder that "we must persevere in hope, even when we don't seem to be going anywhere."

*"Giving our children the gift of service is not really a matter of teaching them what to do. It's more a matter of helping them look at other people through Jesus' eyes and respond as He did. It really is that simple--though it's often not easy."

*And in closing, "This is the true ministry of motherhood--to usher my children into the living presence of God, to nurture in them a heart for Jesus and the Great Commission He has called each of us to fulfill."

Has anyone else read this book? If you could use some inspiration as a mother, it will both challenge and encourage you!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Carrie,

Sally Clarkson is a favorite and popular author that comes up at our homeschool monthly support meetings. Each of us ladies rotate leading a devotional for the meeting, and between the book you mentioned and the "Mission of Motherhood", also
"Educating the Wholehearted Child"...we've had lots of material filled with wisdom and blessings! Thanks for all the quotes you pointed out! Have you read the books by Tedd Tripp? I can't recall if you've posted on them before. (Shepherding/Instructing a Child's Heart) If you liked this book, you'd like those! :-)

Kristin said...

Thanks for sharing, Carrie! Sounds like a GREAT book, and one that I'm sure I would find very appropriate for this season! I can relate to being in a season where it is hard to find fruit in what we're sowing in our kids, which can be so discouraging! You're most certainly not alone! Perhaps we can do a book swap this summer...Instructing a Child's Heart for your book?

Hope you're enjoying the time with your family!

Love,
Kristin

Karen said...

of Motherhood is my all time fav!! I have all her books!

Karen said...

Sorry I don't know what happened ther- Mission of Motherhood.

Emily said...

I am planning to read this book this summer as a part of a book club with other moms. I am really looking forward to reading and discussing it. It sounds like an amazing book!