Friday, June 11, 2010

Marathon Man

Last weekend, my family had the honor of watching my dad run a marathon (his 12th or 13th--he wasn't sure!) in the gorgeous Black Hills of South Dakota.

I am very proud of my dad for being so strong of body, mind and spirit. Despite having stage 4 cancer, he not only ran this race and finished, but he even had his best personal time in 5 years! Look at this exhilaration:
I wanted to share this limerick my dad wrote a year ago, because this embodies his philosophy.

Out there is a fellow named Dan
Who runs just as far as he can;
"There are cancer survivors
And then there are thrivers"
He said as he went out and ran.

Is that not an amazing attitude?! We love you, Dad!

15 comments:

Mom said...

Dear Carrie, thank you for this tribute to Dad and for being there last weekend to support and encourage him! I'm proud of him, too! :) Love you, Mom

Wendi said...

His spirit is amazing!

Carmen said...

Love it. What a testimony and what a reminder of the difference your attitude can have!

So glad you got to be there for his race!

angie said...

Imagine the difference his attitude is having in his overall health!

Katie said...

What an inspiration to us all!!! I thought of your family last weekend and was excited to read this update! Please pass him our congratulations and gratitude for his amazing testimony and spirit!

thehomespunheart said...

Love this, Carrie! An emotional thought to consider all he is enduring and how he is still thriving at it! I am proud of him too! Love you, Monica

Ginger said...

From one cancer survivor to another, I salute his spirit!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Wow! Praise God for your Dad's grace and endurance in the face of this!

Kristin said...

What a neat tribute to your dad! Those are great photos that speak volumes! I'm glad you were able to spend time with them there too!

Kristin

asnipofgoodness said...

Wow carrie, what an inspiration for us all!

Jenny said...

So inspiring! Thanks for sharing his wonderful poem.

Cora said...

What a great inspiration your dad is. So glad you were able to share the day with him.

Katy~The Country Blossom said...

Wow! What an amazing man your father is! The energy and strength he has is inspiring! God has given him a beautiful spirit of *life*! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! :)

Tracey said...

Congratulations to your dad! What an accomplishment!

Jill said...

Your father is true inspiration! Brought tears to my eyes. I wish only the best for him and your family.