Tuesday, August 10, 2010

10 on the 10th: "White Death"

I've taken a couple months off from Mer's fun carnival of lists, and wanted to jump back in with a humorous post about my unusual taste buds, inherited from my father. I don't know exactly when my dad developed an aversion to pretty much all white foods (giving them the name I featured in my title), but his dislike remains as strong now as ever, and he passed on some of that gene to me.

Here, in no particular order, are foods that are considered part of the "white death" category. I'll place an asterisk next to the ones I partake of, but everything in this list is considered off limits by my dad!

1. Ranch dressing
2. Cream cheese
3. Sour cream
4. Mayonnaise
5. Alfredo sauce
6. Butter* (in small quantities)

7. All salad dressings* (I'll only eat "clear" dressings like vinaigrettes)

8. Most dips* (I like hummus, but anything else you'd dip veggies or chips in=no way!)

To round out the list, here are two similar foods that are permissible to both of us:

9. Ice cream (Hello, how could you not like this stuff?!)
10. Whipped cream (Ditto!)

I'm sure most of you think we're crazy, but I don't feel like I'm missing out. After all, this is my choice, and not an allergy or something. But my dad and I certainly both make up for any calories missed via "white death" in plenty of other ways! My dad has always said he likes two kinds of pie: hot and cold. And I definitely have a sweet tooth!

Hope you enjoyed this random post. You can visit Mer's for more lists of ten!

12 comments:

Katie said...

Just shows how unique God made each one of us! :-) There are two things on the list that I particularly don't care for and don't eat either: sour cream and mayonnaise. (I can however tolerate Miracle Whip with tuna sandwiches but not real mayo.) Fun list! Your title is too funny!!

thehomespunheart said...

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!! I love it! :)

I like almost everything on that list - except sour cream. You don't like alfredo sauce?!?!?!?! I love that stuff!

I think it stemmed from his picking up a stick of butter when he was a little boy and eating the entire thing. Yes, I said entire thing. Ask him about it :) Never been the same towards white creamy things since :)

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Your list just made me laugh because I'm not the only one with food issues! My friends joke about my Food Rules. There are a lot of them!

Anonymous said...

I follow a special diet, and EVERYTHING on your least is a no for me! Maybe I could actually eat dinner in your house!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Know what's funny? I like everything on your list except for ice cream. I'll eat it, but I don't love it.

Do you let your kids eat ranch dressing? My kids love dipping veggies in it and it helps them eat more veggies, but you're probably wise to teach your kids to eat veggies without it. :-)

Carpool Queen said...

I'm with Meredith - I like everything white except ice cream (though I make an exception for milkshakes and one batch of homemade ice cream in the summer).

erin said...

I always think of the 'White Death' whenever I have ranch dressing and grin (and then I eat it anyway!). ha!

Michelle (lemonadegal) said...

Funny! What about milk? I had a friend who ate water on his cereal because he didn't like milk.

Oh, and how CPQ and Mere cannot like Ice Cream ?!? They must not have access to Blue Bell.

O Mom said...

I also know someone who does not like whip cream...I just do not get it. crazy!

Mom said...

Dad laughed out loud when I showed him this post! :) I used to think that if sour cream or cream cheese was incorporated into something that removed its white, creamy texture that it would be acceptable -- not so! Dad has "white death" radar than can detect most of these ingredients in just about anything! Cute post! :) Love, Mom

kelseylynae said...

HA! I really don't know how we could live without cream cheese, sour cream, ranch, or butter! [And LOTS of all of them :)] You're probably much healthier for it though.

Oh, and I could eat alfredo sauce on just about anything!

Too funny.

kykathy said...

Oh, I am so with you! I will eat butter on a baked potato, but I eat nothing else on that list! I will eat ice cream (of course) but not whipped cream! I'd get along fine sharing a meal with you & your dad!