Saturday, August 28, 2010

The hope that we have

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

As those who read my post yesterday know, my heart has been feeling very burdened. It was not my intention to cause alarm, but rather to be honest and also to offer an explanation for why I chose to delete the post that had published earlier in the day. I appreciate the outpouring of emails and calls I've received. We are grateful for your prayers, especially as there are still many uncertainties in our future. (But isn't that true for all of us?!)

You know the expression "when it rains, it pours?" Well, that's certainly been the case around here lately. Several people we care about have been dealing with major difficulties, and I think yesterday was a cumulative effect of that concern.

At the forefront of my heart and mind, though, was that all week, and especially yesterday, my family was anxiously waiting for an update regarding my father. To cut to the chase, the news was less grim than we'd anticipated, for which we give thanks. However, we knew as of Wednesday that his cancer indicator number was continuing to increase, signaling that a change in treatment was necessary, and I think we were all bracing for what that might entail.

My dad received his first radiation treatment yesterday, but at this point that will not become a regular part of his regimen. He felt no pain during the procedure, and in fact has already felt the positive effects of the treatment! He did learn the disappointing news that he cannot run for 6-8 weeks because recovering from radiation is much like recovering from surgery. However, he was given the green light to continue riding his hand cycle, and I've been informed by my mother that he's already been out for a long ride today! That is so him.

We rejoice that the news is more hopeful than anticipated, and we continue to lift up all those we love who are going through trials of their own.

"Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord." Psalm 31:24

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Thanks for the update. It's always a blessing to get better-than-expected news! We'll be praying for you guys!

Love,
Kristin

Ginger said...

I knew you had to be referring to your dad. I am thankful with you that the news was better than you had anticipated and will continue to pray for him.

Mary Ann said...

Continuing to lift up your family in prayer! ((HUGS))

angie said...

To God be the glory!

Mom said...

Dear Carrie, thank you for this sweet post and update on Dad. We are indeed thankful for the way he has responded to the radiation. (Just a side note -- I'm not sure all radiation recovery is like surgery, but that is what they told us when it involves bone as his did.) Thanks to your friends and blog readers for their prayers on his/our behalf! Lots of love, Mom

Anonymous said...

JUST WANTED TO CLARIFY THAT I WENT
FOR A SHORT RIDE (10 MILES).

A LONG RIDE IS 18 TO 22 MILES.

LOVE, DAD

Debra said...

I am glad to hear the news about your dad was better than expected. You & your family are in my thoughts and prayers

Anonymous said...

Honey, I'm so glad for you, but also feel heavy. Thanks for sharing with us and allowing us to pray. Love you so much!

Your " it's me! pick up your phone!" friend. :)