Sunday, October 10, 2010

10 on the 10th: memory songs

Most of us, especially those of us who love music, associate certain songs with a specific time, place, or person. The songs on the list below are not necessarily favorites, but moreso songs that I attach an important memory to. Here in chronological order, are ten of my memory songs:

1. You're the Only Little Girl by Steve and Annie Chapman: This is the first song I remember performing in church with my dad. For many years, we used sign language to "sing" songs we lived in the church I grew up in. He signed this song at my wedding 15 years later.

2. The Warrior is a Child by Twila Paris: I remember saving up my money to buy this cassette tape at The Lord's Vineyard Christian bookstore. For a few of my young years, I wanted to be a contemporary Christian singer like Twila, and I even wrote her a letter when I was probably about 10. I still have the reply I received, even though it was pretty generic!

3. Colorado Christmas by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Thank God for Kids by The Oak Ridge Boys, and the entire Muppet Christmas Album--fond memories of decorating the tree and quiet Christmases at home with our family.

4. Wait for the Sun by PFR: In high school, I would put this song on repeat as I was getting ready in the morning, and there was a particular line I would wait for and sing with extra gusto.

5. Worlds Apart by Jars of Clay: Still love this beautiful song, and I have many memories of playing it, including college and the summer I spent in France.

6. Betterman by Pearl Jam: How many times did I or my college friends belt out this song when we were having boy troubles? Too many to count.

7. Calling the Moon by Richard Shindell: This little story is so funny to me, looking back. Shortly after my college graduation, and before Eric and I really knew each other or had a spark, I was living with a family we were both close to. One day when I was home alone, I was belting out this song while washing dishes in the kitchen. From the window I saw Eric walking past, and I quickly turned down my volume. I found out later the windows had been open, and he'd heard my impromptu concert anyway! Of course he's heard me sing many times since. =)

8. Somewhere North by Caedmon's Call: This is another connecting song with my dad. It's a poignant song, emphasized to us by the fact that for 13 of the last 14 years I've lived in Iowa, "somewhere north" of my parents.

9. The Other Side of Me by Michael W. Smith: During our engagement, we listened to many songs in consideration of what I would walk down the aisle to. I didn't want something classical, so we listened to lots of other possibilities. When I heard this song, I could picture the scene, and we came up with a unique arrangement for "revealing" me and making our way down the aisle.

10. Lead Me by Sanctus Real: For the past several months, Eric (a lot) and I (a little) have been walking alongside a dear family experiencing brokenness. Every time this song comes on the radio, my heart and mind immediately goes to them. If you haven't listened to it before, I encourage you to do so.

So there you have it--ten songs with powerful memory associations. For more random lists, head over to Mer's.

8 comments:

Hayley said...

What?!? No Titanic theme song?? Oh heck, for old times' sake, copy and paste into your browser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmbw8OycJrE

How many times did we hear this in the dorm bathroom? About every time we went to the bathroom, I believe!! lol.

Carrie said...

Ohhh, it's been a LONG time since I've heard The Other Side of Me. I LOVE that song!

Mom said...

Dear Carrie, reading this list of music and your notes brought a smile to my face and tears to my eyes. Music is powerful -- as the poem hanging in our home puts it "God gave men music, the soul's own speech." Great post! Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC! I WILL LISTEN TO SOME OF
THESE TODAY.
THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES.

LOVE, DAD

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

GREAT list, Carrie. I'm not familiar with everything on your list so you've given me some stuff to track down and listen to on iTunes! :)

Hey, did you know Twila Paris is from Arkansas? I love her. I have several old albums and I still pull them out from time to time. :)

erin said...

Such a great list! :) What great memories. I concur with the Muppets Christmas album too -- I jumped at the chance to buy it on CD a few years ago and I still put it on while decorating the tree.

Denise said...

"The Other Side of Me" is a special song for my husband and I. We loved it, so we sang it together at our wedding. Well, we pre-recorded it since we knew we probably wouldn't be able to make it through without emotions getting to us! :) Thanks for the reminder!

Denise

Katie said...

This was so fun to read, Carrie! What a great list! Yes, you are so right that music makes and brings back so many memories!! Thanks for sharing!