Wednesday, October 13, 2010

38 special

I can't help myself. I love a clever blog title. This one makes me smile because Eric turned 38 last weekend, and we had a special day, but it's funny to me because those of you older than me (hee hee) may remember that it's the name of a popular 80's band. And at Eric's party Saturday night, I thought it would be fun to play some of his favorites from that decade, including Genesis and Boston.
In the morning, I made his traditional breakfast in bed: apple pancakes. I'm not a fan of egg dishes, so this is not my favorite, but I happily made one for him, and one for the kids to share. Here's the recipe, courtesy of Eric's mom:
Apple pancake
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. flour
3 beaten eggs
1 tsp. sugar
dash salt
1 large or 2 small apples, peeled and sliced
butter
brown sugar
cinnamon
Mix together milk, flour, eggs, sugar and salt. Cook apples in microwave until tender. Butter cake pan on sides and bottom. Spread apples in pan, and pour batter over them. Bake in a 500 degree oven for 20 minutes until batter gets puffy and browned. Turn upside down onto an ovenproof pie plate. Dot with butter, and sprinkle with brown sugar and cinnamon. Return to oven for 5 minutes to melt. Serve immediately.

Later in the day, we took advantage of the gorgeous weather by going to the local pumpkin patch. I thought this painted haybale was so cute!
In the evening, Eric and I went out for supper at a new Chinese buffet, which was delicious. Then after the kids were in bed, we had several friends over to play games. The highlight is that I was chosen to be a host of a Chex Mix MyGetTogether party, so most of the snacks were provided! The company sent me three yummy flavors to try (traditional, turtle and honey nut) and they were all devoured. We had a great time, and I appreciate the chance to participate in this program.

I couldn't decide which picture to post from our gathering: the one where my friend blinked, or the one where my brother-in-law is reaching for someone else's plate. Nice! I'll post them both, just for kicks. There you have it, friends, my husband's "38 special" birthday.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Fun report (and clever title!) on Eric's birthday -- thanks for sharing! Love, Mom

erin said...

Looks like you guys had a fun weekend! Also -- it is good to see you are still wearing short sleeves, yay for warm fall weather!

NeedANap2 said...

Chex Mix - yum, Turtle is my favorite! I was talking to another mom and she said she opened a bag for breakfast and kept snacking on it all day but was proud of herself for not eating the WHOLE bag! I totally understood what she was talking about! :)