Friday, October 1, 2010

Blast from the Past

Shortly before my parents' recent trip here, my mom called and said they found some more of my stuff in their storage shed. I was quite surprised, as I thought we'd gone through everything already. Let me just say: being a packrat is a lot of work. I don't know how much time has been invested into storing and sorting these random pieces of memorabilia!

Some of what they brought was full of fun and delight for me, bringing back many happy memories. Some examples were beloved dolls and stuffed animals, as well as a pair of "books" I wrote when I was 8 years old that I assumed I'd tossed out at some point. What a hoot to re-read them last week!
Can I get a shout-out for (fake) Cabbage Patch Dolls and Rainbow Brite (whose green friend's name I can't quite recall)?! Here they are, accompanied by another favorite doll, Kimberly. I had to laugh when I saw the fruity outfit "Amy" is wearing, because that's the same material my mom used to make me a sweatshirt back in the day, and I used to wear it with rainbow-striped legwarmers! (I wore that ensemble once in a family photo, and Monica was not pleased! I looked for that picture to share with you, but couldn't find it. Whew!)

Other things they brought elicited the "Why on earth have I kept this so long?" response. Sample items include every paper I wrote my freshman year of college, high school book reports, and all of my paperwork from student teaching. I came across textbooks, report cards, and dozens of journals. Many items went to the recycle bin, a few were suitable for thrifting, and of course there were many things I wasn't ready to part with--at least not yet.

I'm obviously a saver by nature, but I also don't like clutter--an interesting combination! So where do you fall on the toss it/keep it continuum?

11 comments:

Mom said...

It was fun to read this account of what you found in the boxes we brought and see the photo of your dolls all lined up! :)

I don't like clutter either, as you well know -- but I'm also sentimental about keeping some things -- so on that continuum, I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle leaning toward less clutter. I've been known to take pictures of things I"m sentimental about, but don't feel strongly about actually keeping -- I just want to keep the memory of it.

Love you! Mom

Hayley said...

LOL....Oh, this is great! I had a fake cabbage patch doll my Grandma made for me....still have it. I also had a rainbow bright doll...too funny! I featured you on my blog today...hope you don't mind!

Katie said...

This is too fun, Carrie!! :-) I had a fake Cabbage Patch (still do!) named "Kelly"! Ok, being that we just packed our entire house up last week, I can tell you that I had bins of old school papers and such....and we're hauling them to our new place too! Ha! I also have some other childhood dolls/toys that I've passed onto my daughter. I tend to hang onto sentimental things, put them in a labelled bin, and call it *organized*. :-) If it's stored out of a sight neatly, I guess I don't mind keeping it. Some things need to get purged sometime though! Great post ~ it made me smile!

Mary Ann said...

I think I fall somewhere in the middle. I love to declutter but it's hard for me to get rid of some things. As long as it's organized and "out of sight out of mind", I'm good. Until we go through everything or move. :-(

thehomespunheart said...

Fun to see these things I remember so well! I'm a keeper unfortunately - but I don't like clutter either - so I do go through and purge when I'm in the mood.

My girls have had so much fun with Rainbow Brite! I think your girls name was Patty O Green...

angie said...

I'm a keeper, but it has to be organized and stored away. Yes, you are right in saying that it requires more work to be a "keeper."
I still have much of my teaching materials. I don't think I will ever use them again. But they represent so much work!

Carrie said...

Rainbow Bright! YES! AND the Cabbage Patch dolls, oh yes. I remember vividly the Christmas wherein I received my Cabbage Patch doll! =)

I think the older I get the more discerning I become as to what truly NEEDS to be kept. I dislike clutter but there are some things that I wish I had held on to. SO.....it's a struggle to me. For example, I finally labeled a file folder for "correspondence" and I allow myself to keep enough letters that can be contained and maintained in the file folder. That way I'm keeping only the most special notes and letters and ditching things that probably really don't matter as much in the grand scheme of things.

kelseylynae said...

Too funny! This reminds me a lot of Kali. She still had binders and notebooks from HIGH SCHOOL stuffed in her closet as of last year. I am not really a pack rat so this always amused me about her. I'm sure it's fun now to looks have. The dolls are awesome :) I hadn't thought about Rainbow Bright in a long time!

Tim and Emily said...

Haha! This post makes me laugh because my mom just asked me last week if she could throw away all of my (her words: "old, junky") stuffed animals. WHAT?! That's messing with history! My dad agreed.
Did you ever have a popple? I hope those come back in style before I have a daughter!

Amy Jane (Untangling Tales) said...

Talk about a blast from the past! I just came here from a comment you wrote on my blog THREE years ago (that's gotta be 80 in blog years, right?)

I've kept a box of stuff from my childhood, but mostly I'm an acquirer of books. Which has complicated life in the last 6 months when our house has been on the market (http://bit.ly/d2GLYX), and all my pacifiers (familiar/desired books) are in storage.

I keep wondering if I'll be less of a horder when this is over. I mean, we lived with so little for six months! but I'm so afraid I'll "binge" next that I'm just focusing on keeping the clutter level down.

Hestermania! said...

i had that same green strawberry shortcake doll!! good stuff...