Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Giving thanks

It's been exactly 2 years since my dad was diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer. I recently went back and read the (50!) comments you left when I announced the news on my blog, and I want to thank all of you--both those we know personally and those we've never even met!--for the ways you've prayed for and cared for our family on this journey. My dad is continuing to respond well to treatment, and we are grateful that he is active and feeling pretty good. We are looking forward to being together for Christmas!


I wanted to share a powerful quote I discovered here, which is of course appropriate for any day, not just Thanksgiving:


"The heart that gives thanks is a happy one, for we cannot feel thankful and unhappy at the same time. The more we say thanks, the more we find to be thankful for. And the more we find to be thankful for, the happier we become.

We don't give thanks because we're happy, We are happy because we give thanks."

from The Secret of Saying Thanks by Douglas Wood


Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

Katie said...

Dear Carrie,

I remember reading that post two years ago...and I've been praying ever since! Thank you for the continual updates you give. Praying the Lord would continue to bless, heal, guide, and comfort you all in that journey. I have to say that participating in this "Joy" swap sure has me thinking on what true joy is...despite my circumstances. Every post of your dad has truly depicted the definition of joy! I'm praying specifically for your dad that the Lord would walk beside him through every test and treatment he endures. *Psalm 143:8* So thankful for you, Monica, your family, and the way you choose to bless others through sharing your thoughts and ideas!

Have a blessed Thanksgiving, friend!
Katie

Ginger said...

Blessings to you all!

Hayley said...

I'm so thankful for you, roomie!! So happy to hear you will be with your dad for Christmas....fond memories to be made! We wish you and your family a very Happy Thanksgiving! Eat your little heart out....I'm pretty sure I will.

thehomespunheart said...

Giving thanks for you and your family!

Love you, Monica

Carrie said...

That's an awesome quote.

SO glad that your dad is doing so well! That is definitely something to be thankful for!

gail said...

that is amazing that it has been 2 years already. so glad your dad has responded so well to the treatment--the Lord is good. and great quote too.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

GREAT quote. I'm glad he continues to do well. And I'm glad you get to be with your family for Christmas. Sad I'll miss you this time though.