Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Some things I've been thinking about

Thanks for your comments on the spirited child post. It is an encouragement to hear from you and your own experiences!

Today I want to share a variety of things I've been thinking about lately . . . I'm warning you--I definitely bop around from topic to topic!

*At MOPS last week, our speaker talked about boundaries. I liked her reflection questions and wanted to share them here: In terms of self-care, what is one bad habit you would like to break? What is one good habit you'd like to keep or incorporate into your life? How does the lack of boundaries affect your ability to mother well? That last question resonated with me because a couple of weeks ago, when all of my responsibilities were converging and bearing down on me, I was much less patient with my family. =( As far as the bad habit goes, I often have a hard time saying no, usually because I don't want to disappoint others. A good habit I've tried to incorporate is my monthly retreats.

*Eric and I watched a unique movie over the weekend. It's quite long (nearly 3 hours), and though not all may appreciate its unusual style, the story and main message are quite compelling. I would recommend this film if 1) you like artsy foreign movies, 2) you're a teacher, and/or 3) you have a heart for kids with learning challenges, specifically dyslexia.

*The other night when Eric prayed that God would reveal himself to Nathan, I suddenly realized that Nathan is almost as old as I was when I asked Jesus to come into my heart (4 1/2). What an amazing thought!

*I had to pull a post I wrote 3 years ago where I shared a couple of teething tips that had worked for our family. At that time, I recommended a Hyland's teething product, but I just learned this week that the FDA has issued a recall on them because one of the herbal ingredients can be toxic. Yikes! If you've purchased these in the past, you can find more information here.

*At a recent Bible study, the teacher read an unfamiliar translation of Psalm 63:1: "O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You in a dry and thirsty land where there is no water." What most struck me is the word "early"--do we turn to God only when we've exhausted other avenues like our own self-sufficiency or seeking others' advice? This hit home for me because I'd been making little progress in a big project I've been working on for the college. I was feeling quite anxious about all of it, and it dawned on me that I had not once prayed about the project. I prayed out loud, asking God to help me be faithful in my part, but asking Him to show me some results so that I could be encouraged. I made a phone call a few minutes later, and results are exactly what I got. I'm not saying or expecting that God will respond this way every time, but it was an important reminder to me to turn to Him--early--about even the smaller things in my life!

What are you pondering today?

5 comments:

Mom said...

Ah, saying no -- one of the things I had to learn the hard way. I used to have a hard time saying no, too -- and I'm sure I was often less patient with my family as a result, too. And praying early -- a great reminder!

Yes, it is amazing to realize that Nathan is nearing the age that you were when you asked Jesus into your heart! I think younger siblings sometimes reach that point earlier than firstborns because they observe their older sibling - -at least, that's the way it happened in our family. Thanks for sharing your thoughts -- love you, Mom

Carrie said...

Oh wow! I hadn't heard about the Hyland Teething Tablet recall. I"m so glad you mentioned that! We're out of the teething stage just now but with another one on the way, and that product being my go-to source, that's good to know of!

As for what I'm pondering today...the 15 most influential authors in my life:

http://www.readingtoknow.com/2010/11/influential-authors.html

Katie said...

Saying no has always been a hard thing for me too! Still learning much on that one!

Today I am pondering how to get our home organized in the most efficient manner possible (unpacking boxes still!), so that, at night, all I have to do is a bit of prep work for school and meals...so the next day flows much more smoothly. I am still playing the catch-up game, and it feels like a losing race! However, I'm taking it a bit at a time and just trying to prioritize...not so easy sometimes though!

Fun to read what you've been pondering! :-)

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

You must be a people pleaser! I'm married to one of those, and I often have to be the bad guy by saying no for him! Thankfully, I have no qualms about saying no most of the time.

On my mind: the cat's health (or rather, lack thereof), my migraines, music, youth and church responsibilities, creative pursuits...

erin said...

great thoughts, thanks for sharing. We have been using Hyland's for awhile - most recently this summer - guess we won't be using them again for awhile.

on my mind today -- should i look for a part-time job? if so, what?