Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Use-it-up recipes

This is a much-delayed follow-up to my June request for recipes to use up some random items in my kitchen. Thanks to all who sent ideas!


To refresh your memory, here is the list of ingredients I want(ed) to use up: pine nuts, lemon curd, oat flour, soy flour, corn meal, sesame tahini, rice vinegar, sesame oil and cider vinegar.

I tried many recipes using these ingredients and appreciate those who gave suggestions. I've learned that the reason we still have the last 3 ingredients is that we don't seem to like them in anything! The first 3 ingredients are now gone, and I'm plugging away on the others. Here are a few recipes we tried that I can recommend:

Creamy Citrus Tartlets (These were light, easy and delicious. Thanks, Elaine!)

Oatmeal Cookie Waffles (Won't replace our standby recipe, but was a yummy way to use up the random oat flour we were given. Note that there are 6 yummy waffle recipes in this link!)

5-Minute Hummus (I've tried numerous hummus recipes over the years, and finally found one I like, though I added several extra cloves of garlic. It's extra yummy paired with these simple homemade pita chips.)

When I was making a new bread recipe over the weekend, Eric asked me why I don't just stick with ones we already know we like, instead of trying new ones. It's a good question. I find I'm somewhat of a recipe collector: I frequently tear pages from magazines or print recipes from the Internet, even though I have a binder full of winners already. Anyone else do the same?

*In the same June post, I also requested your recommendations for a book to give Eric for Father's Day. He browsed the list of books you suggested and chose Sacred Parenting. Thanks, Amy, for sharing your review! Eric really liked the book and now it's been sitting for months in my massive reading pile. =)

6 comments:

Katie said...

Wow ~ all of these sound delicious! My sister-in-law and I were just talking about hummus two days ago! I told her I had never ever tried it but that I wanted too. Your timely recipe may be just the inspiration I need ~ thank you!

Carrie said...

I like trying new recipes just to be different. You never know when you might hit upon a new favorite. I'm also always on the lookout for recipes that I know certain friends will like so that when we have them over I can serve them something that will delight them! It's just ...fun.

Pamela said...

And now I have some more recipies to add to my binder. :-) I think the reason I try new recipes is that I get bored making the same ones over and over even if they are my family's favs. I also agree with the previous post--I like to delight my friends.

Mom said...

Dear Carrie, I've collected recipes for years and have a big stash of ones yet untried. I go through them occasionally for inspiration or for recipes that use ingredients I have on hand. I try not to make a new recipe more than once a month (and sometimes even less often than that). Some of our now favorite meals were once new and different, but familiar foods are comforting. Thanks for sharing! Love, Mom

Jan said...

I haven't been doing a lot of meal planning lately but I used to make at least one new thing a week. Cooking can be fun yet useful hobby for a stay-at-home mom. In fact I came across a new breakfast recipe this morning and had it in the oven by 8.

The hummus sounds good but yes, I'm sure it benefited from more garlic. We have everything on hand along with tortillas that need using up - think I'll make them into chips and serve with your hummus. :)

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Are y'all not fans of Asian food? I ask because I find rice vinegar and sesame oil to be staples for that sort of cooking. We love rice vinegar poured over sliced cucumbers. Easy and delicious. But then, we like rice vinegar.