Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Celebrating Nathan

Having a December birthday is kind of tricky, isn't it? It's important to me that Nathan's birthday celebration is distinctive from what we are doing to celebrate Jesus' birthday, but this month has been pretty spread out with a variety of activities!

As I was planning for Eric's parents' recent visit, I realized it would be fun to schedule Nathan's party during that time so they could be involved. We had his little party at the local fire station. There were three firefighters there, and they did a great job with the kids. We started out by hearing a fire safety message and watching one of the fireman dress in all of his gear. Then the kids split into two groups and toured two different fire trucks. It was really neat because the kids could explore and sit in them. Then it was time for Nathan's fire truck cake. Last week, Nathan celebrated his birthday at preschool by bringing ice cream cone cupcakes and fire safety coloring books for each of the kids. And Sunday, I took him to his first movie in the theatre--a free showing of this take on the classic children's book.Finally, on Nathan's actual birthday =), we served breakfast in bed, as is our family tradition. He chose donuts and his latest obsession, a clementine! (He asked for chicken nuggets for lunch, and pancakes for supper--plenty of carbs all around!)We also plan to have a little cake and celebration in CO with my side of the family. Quite a happy birthday for that kiddo! Thanks to all who left sweet comments yesterday, too.

10 comments:

Ginger said...

Happy birthday to your dear Nathan. Mine is the 22nd, and I've always LOVED having it this time of year....more special.

Wendi said...

I'm glad that you try to make his birthday special. My dad's birthday is Christmas Eve and my father-in-law's birthday is Christmas Day. Both of them say that as a child it was no fun!

Great idea to have the party at a fire station. Fun!

Katie said...

That picture of mommy & son is too adorable! Blessings to your little fireman! :-) [Clementines ~ yum!]

Carrie said...

December birthdays can be a little tricky, yes. My brother's b'day is the 18th so my mom always had to juggle that.

GREAT idea on doing something at the local fire station. I LOVE that idea!

And we have those same red cowboy pj's! They are adorable, I think! =D

Jan said...

Firefighters AND fire trucks? What more could a little boy want? You did a great job planning his party and he must have felt just the way you wanted - special.

erin said...

What a great party idea! I bet he will remember this birthday in great detail! I love that he has been able to spread out the birthday fun over several weeks (I love when I get to do that too!).

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Nathan!! You are very special - wish I could have been there for your fire truck b-day party!!

Love,
"Aunt" Mandi

gail said...

you are so smart to make nathan's b-day special during this busy season. mine is the 19th and my dad's the 24th and in our house it was hard to watch everyone else have a special day when yours was in the mush of christmas busyness. thankfully my mom never forgot or overlooked my dad or me ... tho i often told my mom i was going to change my b-day to july 19th!!! now that i think about it, i still might =)

Jada said...

Nathan and I share a birthday! I'm a little older, by 41 years. LOL I, too, am obsessed with clementines! Maybe it's a being-born-on-Dec. 20th thing! It sounds like he had an awesome birthday. We have 6 Dec. birthdays (Dec. 4th-niece Hannah; Dec. 5th-mom's; Dec. 16th-dad's; Dec. 18th-brother Tom; mine is the 20th; and my niece, Jenna's, is Dec. 22nd). Plus, my parents anniversary is the 15th.

Hayley said...

What a fantastic idea with the fire station! Love it! You are so creative....the ice cream cone cupcakes are brilliant, too! Happy belated birthday, Nathan. You're so stinkin' cute!