Friday, January 28, 2011

Checking in

We had a very meaningful time with family in Michigan, and are so grateful it worked out for me to accompany Eric for the trip. The funeral was a heartfelt celebration of a wonderful lady whom we'll all miss. One of Eric's cousins put together a beautiful photo slideshow set to Steve Green's song, "Find Us Faithful," and I don't think there was a dry eye. The Scrabble board I showed you a couple of weeks ago ended up being displayed at the visitations and the funeral, so that was neat. Grandma sure did love that game!

I think one of the most special things that happened during our quick visit was the evening following the funeral. My in-laws have a wonderful and supportive group of friends who offered to "cater" and serve a meal at a relative's house. I was so touched by this collective effort. These dear people brought dozens of dishes (roast, chicken, lasagna, and more sides and desserts than one could possibly sample), served us dinner, and even cleaned up afterwards. It was to me a beautiful picture of the body of Christ.

Our experience this weekend made me think back to a post I wrote on supporting others following the death of a loved one. You can click here to read it--Monica shared several ideas and insights after her father-in-law passed away. Another lovely idea from this weekend that I want to add to the list is that one of my sister-in-law's friends blessed the family with a breakfast basket. Our large family shared three breakfasts together, and this friend included something for each morning: a coffeecake, some muffins, and a delicious, easy crockpot oatmeal. (I can e-mail you that recipe if you're interested--just leave me a comment.)

On another note, thank you for all the birthday wishes! I definitely felt remembered with the many comments, e-mails and phone calls I received. {As a random sidenote, I tried a fun beverage recipe from a birthday edition of an e-newsletter. They suggested brewing a cup of tea, then mixing in a packet of hot cocoa. I wished I had some mint tea, but I tried it with raspberry, and the drink was a fun twist on two old favorites!}

Have a good weekend! I'll be back next week with the progress on my January challenges (getting rid of 32 things and eating from the pantry).

5 comments:

Mom said...

Thank you for this update on your time with family after the passing of Eric's grandmother. The whole family has been in our thoughts and prayers.

I also appreciate the reminders and suggestions of good ways to minister to bereaved families and am thankful that you were blessed by some of these very actions. (I'd be interested in the crockpot oatmeal recipe.)

Tea mixed with hot chocolate? I never would have thought of that combination!

Thanks for sharing! Love you, Mom

Katie said...

I was praying for you and your family this past week ~ glad to see this update. (Looking forward to your challenge updates too!)

I appreciated reading that post you and Monica put together to lift up those who are grieving the first time around and love the thoughtful outreaches you came up with! What practical ways to bless at such a time!

I made a hot supper for an expectant family a couple of years ago and brought along a fun breakfast basket for the next morning. I made some homemade waffles and sealed them in an air-tight bag. I included a bottle of syrup, powdered sugar, and finished it off with some oranges. Anyway, your SIL's friend's basket reminded me of this ~ I love the variety she included!!

I'm not a big tea person...so maybe the cocoa would sway me?? :-)

angie said...

I would love to have the crockpot oatmeal recipe too!
angiechadwell@yahoo.com
This is how we should all live, to be remembered and "found faithful."

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Glad to hear your time with family was so special. Tea and hot chocolate? Mmmm... I have some peppermint tea in the pantry. I might try the concoction after my kids are in bed. That way I won't have to share. ;)

Jamie said...

I did that too on my birthday..mixing the tea and hot cocoa. It was a nice treat! :) Have a great day Carrie!