Tuesday, February 1, 2011

32

I've completed both of my January challenges, and will post both a pantry follow-up and my February challenge on Friday.

I am proud to report that I got rid of 32 things before my 32nd birthday. In fact, I ended up with a list of 35 items!

I tend to be a packrat about some stuff, so this challenge proved a good catalyst for getting rid of a few things I'd held on to for a long time! For this challenge, I recycled, gave, pitched, thrifted, and consigned. Here are a few of the items I no longer own:

*I threw away a bag of gift bows that has been driving me crazy. I've stored the bag of bows underneath the guest room bed, and Natalie discovered it there over a year ago. It became a favorite toy of both kids, which I was OK with--for awhile. But then all the bows started getting really ratty, and I would find them in random places, and I decided I was done. I rarely use bows on presents, so I'm glad they got a lot of enjoyment out of them!

*I parted ways with this sweater that I've had since early college--ahem--over 10 years ago. Here's a pic of me wearing it circa 2000. I hope whoever buys it will wear it for another 12 years! *I went through all of our medicines and toiletries, and threw out a bottle of calamine lotion that expired in 2007. The consistency was a little strange, and for a couple bucks, it's clearly time to buy a new bottle!

*Though it was difficult for me =), I finally threw out two favorite pairs of socks that had LARGE holes in them. My mother was appalled with my sorry hosiery at Christmas, and gave me three new pairs of these cuties for my birthday.

*My friend Sara has passed on all kinds of goodies to me over the years. (In fact, Sara, I'm wearing that pretty coral cardigan today!) Last summer, one of the things in her stash for me was a cheese grater. Now, I've never been a big fan of grating my own cheese, so it's a chore I've been willing to avoid. However, the thought of a free grater made me think I might *someday* grate my own cheese, zucchini, etc. On my birthday, when I was wrapping up this challenge, I came across the grater, and I debated for a minute about whether or not to get rid of it. Imagine my surprise when a few hours later, I opened a box from my parents to discover this. I've already used it to shred and slice lots of carrots--so handy! Maybe I'll even use it to grate cheese sometime. Thanks to my mom's grate (ha!) timing, the hand grater became item #31 on my list!

This was a fun challenge, and it may become an annual tradition. Although, that will definitely be a lot more difficult if I'm still doing it at age 70! =)

12 comments:

Mom said...

What a "grate" post! :) Good for you for completing this challenge -- you've inspired me to let go of the bag of gift bows that I've been hanging onto (but not using) for years. :) Glad you like your new socks and food slicer/grater. :) Love you, Mom

Wendi said...

Hearing about your sock issue made me smile. I have no problem throwing out hubby's socks while doing laundry, but I can't part with mine. they don't have holes, but the elastic is shot in a few pair. It is so hard for me to think about spending money on new socks for myself. I keep telling myself that they are fine and I can do x or y with the money. Crazy!

Katie said...

What a fun post, Carrie, and way to go! :-) I had to laugh about the calamine lotion...seeing as I have *several* expired medications under lock and key that I can't seem to part with (because I just may need them someday)...and I really should know better! The socks too ~ I second Wendi's comment completely. My socks, which are few, are in a very sad state right now. (I always wear slippers over them so I don't really notice until I need to wear them at someone else's house...and don't have my slippers!) *blushing*
Have a great day!

kelseylynae said...

Apparently socks are a tough thing for gals to get rid of :)

I'm the same way. I will wear socks with holes or shot elastic for a long time...and then inevitably I'll be wearing a pair and have to take my shoes off at someone's home, and the embarrassment sometimes catapults me into finally throwing them away :)

Also...loved the sweater ;)

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I don't mind throwing out socks but pajamas are another story. I've got a set of flannel pjs from before we had kids (so at least 8 years old). The hem of the pants is ragged and they are a little threadbare all over. But OH! so comfortable!! I don't think I can part with them yet.

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Your mom's comment made me laugh!

I despise grating cheese, but most of the time I'm too cheap to buy the pre-shredded kind. I use my food processor! I don't have a salad shooter but that looks pretty handy!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

Oh, and I have a hard time throwing socks away too. Especially my holey SmartWools! Still haven't found a way to repurpose them though. Ideas?

Ginger said...

Wonderful job, Carrie!

MH said...

Good for you, and Happy Belated Birthday! I have a mid-30's b-day coming up in a few days and I've been tackling papers around my house recently. (If I were to go looking for this information, would I really look for this paper or look it up online?) BUT I haven't tackled my clothes - and yes, I too have socks and sweaters from college that need to go. :) Thanks for the encouragement! (By the way, for Christmas I asked my highly organized industrial engineer sister to help me organize my house and she came a few weekends ago and it was one of the best gifts I've ever received!)

Sara said...

Crack me up! I'm glad you checked another thing off your list!

erin said...

I love that you still had that argyle sweater - I totally remember you wearing it! I still have a bunch of t-shirts and sweaters from college and I'm still wearing most of them. Funny how you associate memories with clothing!

Jeremy and Christa Nichols said...

I have to say, I love a good pitch session! But I haven't really been that great at it until this last year. Something about having the kids in school gives me more time to make sure things are organized. I just hope I haven't gotten rid of something I will really miss later! :)