Friday, February 25, 2011

Overdue

A couple of weeks age, it seemed like everywhere I turned, I was coming across someone talking about the importance of taking time to reflect or retreat. In addition to this article by Stephanie, and the follow-up post on here, it seemed like several other people were thinking about this subject. I was certainly getting the message, but I wasn't acting on it. It's true that I was going through an unusually busy stretch with my work from home and some other commitments, but rushing around made me see my need for a retreat even more. I just didn't know how to "fit it in."

Then on February 11, my daily reading in Jesus Calling said, "Trust Me enough to spend ample time with Me, pushing back the demands of the day . . . You will find that you can accomplish more in less time, after you have given yourself to Me in rich communion. Also, as you align yourself with My perspective, you can sort out what is important and what is not. Don't fall into the trap of being constantly on the go."

That was the final push I needed. Immediately after reading that passage, I told Eric I needed to schedule a retreat in the coming weekend. I had to adjust some of my to-do items to make it work--I ended up running to the grocery store in the evening, instead of the morning as I'd planned, and I also woke up early to fit in my workout before the kids woke up. I know it takes extra effort, but once I was seated in my quiet space with warm drink in hand, I truly felt myself relax. I am refreshed by taking time to write, read and pray, and I hope I won't wait so long to do this again!

7 comments:

Hayley said...

Wait....YOU rushing around?? No, it's not true. lol. I'm glad you found some downtime.....I'm in need of that myself. :)

Katie said...

I posted about how the Lord nudged me to action today too!! (And how he used you in part to do that!) So glad you were able to retreat, dear friend!

Carrie said...

I need to schedule in some time for a second retreat - and SOON! The first (encouraged by Stephanie's post) was tremendously good and helpful and now I need a follow-up one. Your post is reminding me. Thanks!

thehomespunheart said...

Glad you got some retreat time! Look forward to talking to you later!

Jessica Knapp said...

Thanks so much for this great reminder, Carrie! I haven't done this in a REALLY long time and need to!

Anonymous said...

Carrie, I love this post. Thanks for pushing me too!

Talk to you soon!
Mando

Mom said...

I'm so glad you made time for a retreat! Thanks for encouraging all of us to do the same. :)

The Jesus Calling book has been a blessing to me as well -- I'm glad you are finding it meaningful.

Love you, Mom