Monday, March 28, 2011

Butterfly birthday

Natalie's birthday theme was butterflies, and I had fun coming up with ideas for her little party.

First of all, I made invitations using cardstock I had on hand. I used several different color combinations so that each person received a different butterfly. Here's a sample, along with this cute snack I made the kids for a party favor.For lunch, I served butterfly sandwiches*, and made pasta salad with butterfly (bowtie) pasta. Of course we had cake for dessert! I followed these instructions for making the cake into a butterfly shape, but opted to keep it simple with just frosting and colored sugar.
After eating, we played this fun game, which I borrowed from a friend. Kids and adults alike had fun trying to capture the butterflies!

Natalie received several butterfly presents, including several clothing items, a new cup, and this little backpack which she's been carrying everywhere!It was a special birthday, and we were glad to celebrate it with my parents, aunt, and grandma!

*A fun bonus of the cut-out sandwiches pictured above was taking the scraps to a nearby lake and feeding the ducks. I have fond memories of doing that as a child, and my kids loved it. I confess, though, that after we were done, we saw a sign on the opposite side of the lake prohibiting feeding the waterfowl. Oops!

11 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Very cute, Carrie! My favorite idea is the cute little butterfly bags of snacks with a clothespin in the middle - happy birthday, Natalie!

Mom said...

What a fun birthday for a sweet little girl -- so glad we could be there to share in it! Love, Mom

Wendi said...

Cute theme. I agree with Monica that the butterfly bags are my favorite.

Amy said...

Yes, butterfly bags are my favorite too! Thanks for sharing!

angie said...

I also had a butterfly themed party for my daughter's 3rd birthday. It was held outside in September. Shortly before the party began, a beautiful butterfly got into our screened porch and stayed for the entire party!
Wish I had known you were doing this theme--I have a butterfly shaped cake pan I would love to pass on.

Katie said...

Darling theme, Carrie! That cake looks like it took some careful construction. My kiddos played Elefun just this past weekend! =) Fun! Have a good week!

Carrie said...

I really like the idea for the snack back in particular! That IS really cute. I'll have to remember that! And ha (!) on feeding the ducks. =D Well, at least you enjoyed it.

Looks like a fun birthday party!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Cute theme! Love the cake and invitations! At least you saw the sign after you'd already fed the ducks, rather than taking the kids down there to do it, seeing the sign, then having them be disappointed. Honest mistakes happen!

Hayley said...

Love the butterfly theme....so cute! Speaking of spring, I received this lovely spring package in the mail yesterday. Thanks for thinking of me, dear. You are a blessing in my life!

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet idea, Carrie! Love those goodie bags you made up!! As always, super creative!

Mandi

Susan said...

Very cute idea!