Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Walk on

Remember my challenge to get in shape during the month of February? Well, I am proud to report that I surpassed my goal of working out 20/28 days, and I was able to put 22 stars on my calendar! Woo-hoo!

I was amazed how motivated I felt, and the variety I incorporated made exercising a lot of fun! I did lots of walking--two days it was actually nice enough to walk outside, and on cold days, I walked on the treadmill* at our local fitness center (I had a punch card with 5 free passes). In the warmer months, I walk a ton outside, but my favorite new way to walk in winter is DVDs like this one and this one. Thanks to my friend Kelly for suggesting these--I'd never heard of them! I borrowed both of them initially, and liked the first one so much I bought it on-line. I may order the second one at some point, too--love it!

In addition to all the walking, I tried a couple other fitness programs a few times each--one was a cardio dance workout that made me feel less-than-coordinated =), and I also tried a walking DVD by a different instructor; however, I was not a fan and won't recommend that one. Isn't it awesome to be able to borrow DVDs from the library or a friend before you make an investment?

Even though my challenge is technically over, I know I will continue making more of an effort to walk inside while it's still cold because it makes me feel good and helps to beat the winter "blahs." Spring is just around the corner!

************
I have a lot of projects going on right now (my own version of March Madness!), so instead of tacking on an additional challenge this month, my desire is to work diligently on each of those tasks, and to do so with excellence!

*I would like to add that until a month ago, I had NEVER walked on a treadmill! The professional who helped me get started couldn't believe that. It was a little awkward for me the first few minutes, but then I found a rhythm and just enjoyed myself. Walking really is a great way to exercise!

I also want to add that I had to get creative with fitting exercise into my day. I often got up earlier before the kids were up, but sometimes I did my workout during the day, and a few times I fit it in the evening.

10 comments:

Hayley said...

Leslie Sansone DVD's are the best! Congrats on reaching your goal! And, I'm shocked you have so much going on......lol.

Katie said...

Way to go, Carrie! Love your last line..."to do so with excellence"...about keeping your current goals going ~ inspiring!

I love Leslie Sansone's WATP program off of TV after the birth of our first son...but...they are VHS now...and I have no way to view them! Ha! Guess I'll check out that link you provided! ;-) I remember how much I liked it!

Katie said...

replace "love" with "purchased" above....guess I was thinking two things at once...(it was all there in my head anyway) ha ha

Mom said...

You go, girl! :) Love the photo of your calendar filled with stars. I had not heard of those DVDs and have requested the first one from the library to give it a try. :) Love you, Mom

erin said...

I bet it feels satisfying to see all of the stars on your calendar! Congrats! :)

angie said...

Congratulations! You made me remember that I have a Leslie Sansone VHS in the drawer.
I also started keeping track of my workouts on my calendar. It certainly makes me more accountable. I also note the distance I walked or ran. But I am never able to make myself get up early to workout. :(

Jodi said...

You have inspired me to begin "starring" my calendar! Congrats on EXCEEDING your goal! :)

thehomespunheart said...

Great job, Carrie! I want to check out the links you provided and see if our library has either of them!

Jthemilker said...

Good for you Carrie. I used to beg my husband to walk with me and he said it was boring. We took up hiking/geocaching last year. It got us into the outdoors and the geocache was a fun destination for my hubby which made it exciting for him. Check out geocaching.com It might be a fun summer activity for your family.

Jeremy and Christa Nichols said...

Way to go! Good for you! Love the stars.