Friday, April 8, 2011

Homemade Resurrection Eggs

My post earlier this week talked about introducing children to God and spiritual Truth. The idea I'm sharing today did not come from the book I just reviewed, but rather from a fellow blog. With Easter right around the corner, I'd been looking for a way to share the story in a more intentional, visual way with Nathan in particular. Enter Annette's post about homemade Resurrection Eggs! (You can purchase a set for about $17 on-line, but I loved the idea of making ours.)

As directed, I took an egg carton and scrounged around to find the 11 necessary items to put in each egg. (The 12th egg is appropriately empty!) Each item, such as thorns and coins, tells the story of Jesus' death and resurrection. I spent nothing to put this together, and I think it's neat knowing our set is one-of-a-kind! Annette lists not only each item, but also the corresponding Scripture passage. I took it a step further, and compiled all of the verses in a document for easier reference, which I would be happy to e-mail to anyone upon request.

We are planning to start walking through the story next Wednesday, introducing a new piece of the story each day (and building on what we've already discussed). This means that we will open the 12th egg on Easter morning. I love the symbolism of that!

Here is the set I put together:
I'm excited to walk through this with Nathan. Though he has a basic understanding of the Story, I think this will be a powerful way for all of us to observe this important season!

9 comments:

Wendi said...

I might put one of these together this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

Outstanding, Carrie! What a wonderful way to share this with our children. I think I'm just about finished with one of our egg cartons...will be looking around the house for the other items. Thank you!

angie said...

We already have a set of Resurrection eggs. (Wish I had thought to put together my own set rather than buying the premade.) I plan to use this as the lesson for my kids' club lesson next week at church. I would love to have your scripture reference document. Thank you for offering...
angiechadwell@yahoo.com

erin said...

What a great idea! You will have to remind me about this in a couple of years when it is more age-appropriate for Caleb! I'm sure Nathan is even more excited about it since he helped to create it!

Annette W. said...

Isn't it a blessing to pass along our faith?

Thanks for linking to me for this lovely project!

KellyVM said...

Goodness I wish I would have ready your post sooner. This is exactly what I've been wanting to do but didn't have the time to research. I'm hoping to put it together tomorrow night! Thanks.

Mom said...

Dear Carrie, this list is very similar to what I used to put in a basket and use in Sunday School. Great idea to put it in an egg carton! Love, Mom

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Fun! I love the idea of making your own Resurrection Eggs but I was lazy this year and just bought a set.

Anonymous said...

Hi!
I have used both the store bought and the homemade ones before, but am wanting to make my own this year to use in my classroom. I would truly appreciate it if you could e-mail me the verses you put together. My e-mail is sweety49711@yahoo.com Thank you sooo much!

Blessings,
Vero :-)