Friday, April 1, 2011

No foolin': a flossing update

It's been nearly a year since I admitted my remiss dental hygiene habits. Since that time, and having had an overdue check-up last May, I am proud to say this is an area I have finally improved in. I have gone from flossing a couple of times a year (!) to 2-3 times a week. Still room for growth, obviously, but this has been a long-time goal of mine and I'm glad I've finally kicked things up a notch! Monica gave me some of these she scored for free, and I find them easier to use than traditional floss.

As for the teeth grinding, I have a mouth guard that I wear most nights a week, which is pretty significant for me. I put off wearing one for years, and it took awhile once I started last spring for it to feel more natural and even comfortable.

I have another dentist appointment next month, and I'm hoping they'll notice some positive results! For the month of April, I want to be even more diligent in this regard, so my goal for the next 30 days is to floss daily. Maybe I'll even try the calendar trick again since it worked so well for my exercise challenge!

As for March, whew! The two biggest things: I'm wrapping up the big project I've been doing for the college, and I coordinated a toy swap for our local MOPS group last week.

Since I mentioned March Madness a few weeks ago, I have to share that at one point in the tournament, my bracket was ranked 895 out of over 6 million entrants! I feel it's OK to brag about this a little, because since then my rank has plummeted. =)

5 comments:

Katie said...

Wow ~ Carrie...great job on the flossing!! I wish I could say I've made that much improvement. We actually are searching for a dentist in our new area and need to make some appts soon.

I know nothing about March Madness! =)

Mom said...

Whatever it takes to improve flossing frequency is a good thing -- good luck!! :)

Enjoy the Final Four this weekend! Love you, Mom

Susan said...

Great job! I flossed every day since I was 8 years old. And have had cavities. My husband has never flossed, maybe been to a dentist 4 times in his life and never has had a cavity. I used to go every 6 months for check ups in the States. But Germans do not go to dentists. No dental insurance, all costs are out of pocket. All that to say, I have not been to a dentist in the last 4 years.Also stopped grinding my teeth since I moved to Germany so didn't need my mouth guard anymore. I should probably go soon.

Leah in Iowa said...

I laugh - only because I'm an over-flosser. Ha! Really - I floss several times a day with the Dentek flossers not because I want to, but because I have teeth that catch and keep everything from nuts and apple peels to grilled meat. Big sigh.

Arabelle Mccuen said...

Oh, congrats on your improved flossing habits! It's a really difficult habit to form, since using floss is a whole lot trickier than brushing your teeth. Of course, it's definitely good for you and your teeth. And you should follow whatever your dentist told you and keep on flossin'! Hope you up the ante of you habit to one a day, every week!