Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lifesaver

Today is my 28th Christian birthday. I remember being on the swings at a neighbor's house when I was just 4 years old, and running home to tell my mom I'd asked Jesus into my heart. I don't remember the rest of the particulars, only that humble, precious beginning of a life of striving to be more like Him. Oh, how often I fail in that regard. I recently read James 1:22, and have continued to meditate on its convicting truth: "Do not merely listen to the Word, and soLinkdeceive yourselves. Do what it says." The other day, I decided to more thoroughly read the rest of the passage, and I was blown away:

19 My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. 21 Therefore, get rid of all moral filth and the evil that is so prevalent and humbly accept the word planted in you, which can save you.

22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

26 Those who consider themselves religious and yet do not keep a tight rein on their tongues deceive themselves, and their religion is worthless. 27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

My words--and my heart--have gotten sloppy* lately, and these truths permeated me in a tender area. Getting angry does not produce righteousness, and if my tongue is spouting off, my religion is worthless. Ouch! I am striving to humbly accept these words planted in me that can SAVE me.

God has saved my life in many ways, and I am so grateful for His daily grace and peace. You may remember the story I shared of being rescued from a sinking boat. I believe God saved my life that day. You may not know the story that I had major complications after Natalie was born and was in an urgent care situation. Again, God spared my life. Those are more dramatic examples, but God truly is my Lifesaver, and I am so grateful for all He has done for me!

*When I am really wrestling with my sinfulness, which is often, I am moved to tears by this song.

8 comments:

Katie said...

Dear Carrie,

Happy Happy Birthday in Christ, dear Carrie!!

It was so neat to read this post today about the remarkable ways the Lord has *saved* you in more ways than one...because I was just recalling these stories yesterday!

Privileged to be your sister in Him,
Katie

Mom said...

Dearest Carrie, I believe that God also saved your life the day you were born seven weeks prematurely. Your tiny little body struggled to breathe and you looked so fragile. Now we are so thankful for your strength and health. We praise Him for saving you multiple times!!! Lots of love, Mom

Jenny's Heart said...

Happy Daughter of Christ Birthday!


Thank you for this post, last night at work I was talking to God about my anger and irritation, I get offended and anger so easily, I struggle with it so thank you this is what I needed to see this morning.

Carrie said...

Happy very special birthday!

Wendi said...

Oh Carie, this really spoke to me. "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires." Little things have been driving me crazy lately and I have not been as kind as I should about them. Thanks for the gentle reminder!

Leah in Iowa said...

Happy Birthday, Carrie! Consider yourself blessed that you remember the actual date. That's awesome! I remember the sinking boat story, but wasn't aware you had problems after Natalie's birth. If you posted about it, I missed it. Glad things improved though! Love that Casting Crowns song!

Anonymous said...

Happy Christian birthday, Carrie.

I too am very grateful that God has spared your life so many times. He is SO good to us, and yet we ALL struggle with our tongue and anger problems.
Thank God for 1st John 1:9.

Love you, Grandma

Katie said...

I just wanted to add, Carrie, that my last blog post touched on this same nerve you are talking about here. I struggle with my sin nature constantly, and before we moved, I placed Psalm 103:8 up on the bulletin board in our house so I would see it often. I really really *really* needed to see that more often than I'd like to admit, as when frustrations of the day were at their height, I was (and still am) ready to pounce! I know the Lord had me memorize that verse because it's a very real struggle. This all makes me think of the passage Paul wrote in Romans 7, verses 21-25. I don't want to struggle with these things...but I do. I have realized this is a very real spiritual battle! I've been working on memorizing Ephesians 6:10-18. So thankful we can find the victory in Jesus!

Thankful for the way I'm challenged in my own faith walk here!!

Katie

p.s. Lamentations 3:22-24 ♥