Friday, October 21, 2011

Frugal Fall Feast

I get really excited about meals that are healthy, thrifty and delicious. But I get even more excited when, in addition, a meal uses lots of ingredients we have on hand from our garden.

I don't think I've mentioned it (I've had a few other things on my mind!), but our garden has produced a BOUNTIFUL harvest this year--more than ever before! Carrots, onions, tomatoes, green peppers, green beans, basil and potatoes galore. It's been fun to share much of the abundance with others. Over the weekend, Eric and the kids pulled our wagon to the community garden (which I will post more on soon, as requested) and loaded it up with so much produce, that they started handing it out on the way home. Neighbors were thrilled, Eric and the kids had a blast, and I was delighted, too. (I'm the only one who eats tomatoes at our house, and I haven't been very motivated to can them for that main reason.)

Anyway, back to the meal. I recently saw this new product at the grocery store, and I noticed a recipe on the back that included onion, green pepper, garlic and basil--all of which we have from our garden. Sign me up! Since it's chicken sausage, I ate a few pieces, but I really prefer many of my meals vegetarian, so I left most of it for my carnivorous boys.

I had so much fun making this meal, knowing that it was healthy, thrifty, and nearly all of it was locally grown from our own garden! I served the sausage skillet alongside sauteed carrots, which we've had a ton of. One entire crisper drawer in our fridge is crammed full with these orange beauties, with more to come, and we've been eating them regularly!

A package of the sausages was on sale for $2.99, and I used just two of the four, slicing them thin. With a couple other minor ingredients added in, the cost for our supper was less than $2 for all 4 of us--just 50 cents a serving, plus we had leftovers. Pardon my excitement, but I think that rocks! (I confess to feeling a little smug when I see people raving about dinners that are just $5 a serving, or something similar. It's not that I have it all figured out--it's just that I love the game of it!)

So, there's the story of our Frugal Fall Feast. If you have any winning carrot recipes, please send them my way. I'd welcome some variety!

6 comments:

Katie said...

Wow!!! 50 cents and a delicious, nutritious meal ~ woo hoo! I love the idea of a community garden ~ our church in WI shared a garden on the church grounds a couple of summers ago. That is so great that you had a bountiful harvest ~ what a reminder of the Lord's goodness! He provides!

That picture is making my mouth water. =)

Have a great weekend!

Tracey said...

Sounds like a delicious meal!! Love how you used produce that you had on hand. At the moment, we're overrun with pears and apples which means plenty of tasty baked goods, along with eating them out of hand.

Hope you have a nice weekend!

Mary Ann said...

We love Gingered Carrots!
http://mrsmaryannshouse.blogspot.com/2011/01/gingered-carrots.html I often omit the sugar and think they're still sweet enough!

Your meal looks and sounds great! And you can't beat the price!

Carrie said...

I love those sausages. We use one package split up four ways as well.

I haven't tried that with carrots yet. I have a mighty big bag of them which I picked up to do some juicing with. (All of my kids like carrot juice. Go figure!) Carrot raisin bread?

Kara K said...

Lance's brother works for a seed company and gave us packets of carrots to plant. And alas, we got not one single carrot. I think that Andrew felt a little embarassed!

Mom said...

Love this! :) We planted carrots this summer, too -- but like your friend, Kara -- none grew :( -- glad you had a bountiful crop! Love, Mom