Friday, January 27, 2012

Organized Simplicity

I started reading Tsh's blog about a year ago, and I've appreciated her perspective on a variety of topics related to parenting and homemaking. So I was excited when Monica loaned me a copy of Tsh's book, Organized Simplicity.

The book is divided into 2 parts: the first is about living simply in the real world; the second is about taking ten days to create a more organized home. Though I read the book in its entirety, I did not participate in the organizing challenge. For one, I don't think my home really needs such a thorough approach right now. But I also don't feel like being that aggressive, either! I did, however, appreciate the philosophy behind the organizing challenges.

As Tsh encourages us to declutter our homes, she reminds us that what truly matters at the end of the day is "a family and a home at peace."

Tsh is a big proponent of writing a purpose statement that reflects your priorities, personality, and vision for your family. She wrote about it on her blog here. Once you have written a statement (and she gives questions to help guide that process), the aim is that "All the independent things in your life--the items you own, how you spend your time, the relationships you cultivate, and the books you read--ultimately benefit your life's purpose."

In addition, Tsh explains many of the tools she uses in her own home management, with copies at the back of the book so you can use them, too. I liked the idea of her daily docket ("a to-do list on steroids"as she calls it), though I don't think I need something that comprehensive at this time.

I liked Tsh's statement that "A peaceful home requires a change of attitude, a habit of regular maintenance, and a lifelong commitment to place higher priority on relationships and events than on things."

After reading the section on toy decluttering, I was inspired to clear out some of our collection. I had Nathan help me sort through many of our toys, and it was interesting to see what he thought what we should keep--and not!

I'm very interested in both organizing and simplicity, so I definitely enjoyed this book, and I would recommend both it and Tsh's blog. If you've read either, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts!

3 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

I love the idea of this book - glad you enjoyed it!

Do you want it back? I was just about to paper back swap it...

Katie said...

Thanks for introducing me to her blog ~ I'll have to check it out. I'm always rethinking organization for our space. Fresh inspiration is always welcome in my book! :)

Carrie said...

This one sounds great! I think you would really like Keeping House: The Litany of Everyday Life. From the things you've shared here, I really think that title would be right up your alley!