Friday, January 20, 2012

A spirit of fear

I have spent most of this pregnancy dealing with fear and anxiety. The beginning was uncertain, the middle has been uncertain, and what's ahead is definitely uncertain. We are facing more tests a week from Monday, and some moments I have found myself nearly paralyzed with fear of what the future holds.

This past week, I read these words in my Jesus Calling devotional:

"Rehearsing your troubles results in experiencing them many times, whereas you are meant to go through them only when they actually occur. Do not multiply your suffering in this way! Instead, come to Me, and relax in My Peace. I will strengthen you and prepare you for this day, transforming your fear into confident trust."

How I needed that message. Rehearsing my troubles is exactly what I've been doing. Trying to guess at the answers, pondering the what-ifs, worrying over it all. I've been living with a spirit of fear, yet I am told in I Timothy 1:7 that "God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind." I am also reminded of Isaiah 26:3, which says "You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you." Help me, Lord, to trust in You and not give in to fear and worry.

I will plan to post another update in a couple weeks. We are so grateful for your thoughts and prayers during this time!

A note about photos: Bless those of you who thought Tuesday's picture was an actual shot of my pantry, but it's just a nice picture I found on-line. The above picture, however, is definitely me, sending a little love to our baby girl.

8 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

praying!

Mom said...

Dearest Carrie, I know there have been some scary moments in the past few months. I am guessing that it is easier to keep your mind occupied during the day when you are busy, but at night when the house is quiet is a different story. This hymn/video has been a blessing to me -- I can almost feel the peace descending. I hope you enjoy it, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRFRmK_RKKM&feature=player_embedded

We're looking forward to seeing you in a few days -- lots of love and prayers for health and peace, Mom

kelseylynae said...

Praying for baby AND for YOU. Thanks for the verses you shared.

Speaky1013 said...

Hi honey! I also needed to hear/read that! The Lord is good and faithful, my dear Carrie. He is taking care of you and Baby Girl. I love you!

Katie said...

Both of the verses you quoted in your post were discussed in Bible Study on Wednesday and the topic was "trust".

Praying mightily for you and the baby, sweet friend. Keep us posted!

♥Katie

*Deuteronomy 31:8*

Kara K said...

Sending prayers your way!

Susan said...

Praying for you friend. I understand little bit about a rocky pregnancy. Praying God's peace and and joy even in the midst of the storm. Each day that passes is a day closer to the finish line.

Judy said...

Dear Carrie,
Jan sent me the link to your blog, and I have enjoyed it a lot. I'm praying for you, the baby and the whole family and think of you often.
With Love,
Judy Sommers