Friday, February 10, 2012

Words of comfort

I wanted to share some of the things that have been meaningful to me lately:

*My daily Jesus Calling readings have been a tremendous source of encouragement to me. Each entry seems to be just what I need to hear that day, and I have copied down several of the verses mentioned, including Psalm 29:11, "The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses His people with peace."

*I just finished reading Kisses from Katie (What an amazing testimony!), and I was really challenged when the author stated that she doesn't believe the statement that says God won't give us more than we can handle. As she puts it, "I have learned to accept it, even ask for it, this 'more than I can handle.' Because in these times, God shows Himself victorious. He reminds me that all of this life requires more of Him and less of me. God does give us more than we can handle. Not maliciously, but intentionally, in love, that His glory may be displayed, that we may have no doubt of who is in control, that people may see His grace and faithfulness shining through our lives."
Link
*I have been listening to this song regularly. It brings me to tears every time, and compels me to worship the Savior and give a sacrifice of praise in the midst of adversity.

*I was grateful to come across this excerpt I'd typed up when I reviewed Calm My Anxious Heart a couple years ago:

"The Lord is my peace. I shall not live in anxiety. He puts me under His wing of comfort and calms my spirit within me. He takes all my anxieties on Himself and helps me to focus on Him. Yes, though I walk through a time of grave uncertainties and fierce anxieties, I will not fret--for You are my peace. Your Word and Your presence calm me now. You hold my uncertainties in the palm of Your hand. You soothe my anxious mind--You smooth my wrinkled brow. Surely serenity and trust in You shall fill me all the days of my life. And I shall keep my mind stayed on You forever."

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Your comments and emails are an encouragement to me!

7 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

I've been wanting to read Kisses from Katie - do you have it?

Kristin said...

Loved reading these quotes...so encouraging whether the trials are bigger or smaller. Our hearts still need to have the right lens, regardless. Continuing to pray for you!

Carrie said...

I'm listening to the song What a Savior now. I LOVE it! Hadn't heard it before. This is powerful and beautiful. So glad you posted it!

Mom said...

Love the quote from Calm My Anxious Heart -- how appropriate for the situation you are going through! I'm glad you have found these words of comfort -- love you! Mom

Anonymous said...

So thankful for these encouraging words for you, Carrie.
I so thought of you recently in our chapel service, when we sang "God Will Take Care of You".
I'm choosing to believe that for you.
Continuing in prayer for you & your little one.
Love you, Grandma

Susan said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers Carrie.

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Still praying for you.