Saturday, May 12, 2012

A banner day

Before Natalie was born, I made a cute name banner to hang over her crib. (I strongly encourage you to click to this post not only to see the banner, but also to see Nathan's adorable hair at age 2 1/2!)

Moving Natalie in with Nathan was something we'd planned to do before Naomi was born, but that was one of many things that did not go as expected. My parents helped move Natalie's stuff, including the name banner, into her new room, so that left the crib wall vacant in what became Naomi's room. I didn't have an exact plan for what to put there, but I had the materials: A friend gave me a cute fabric banner (Thanks, Sara!), which I wanted to make a little more girly, and I knew I wanted to use the name letters that were on the door to Naomi's room in the hospital. The other part of my plan was to enlist Monica's help. We all know she is so gifted in the crafting department!

Here is a pic of the banner in its original state. Monica took one look, and she was instantly inspired!



She rummaged through my ribbon bin (which I, ahem, add to but rarely take from) and found a long, wide pink ribbon to cover up the brown. She then asked for some pink paint, and proceed to dab over the brown dots on the pennants. After applying pink paint and gluing the ribbon, we then glued Naomi's special name letters onto the triangles. I absolutely love how this turned out! It cost nothing to make (unless you count the hospital stay--yikes!) and it makes me smile every time I see it. What a fun project to make with my sister!

(Note that the letters show up better if you see it in person.)

6 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

love.

it was so fun to do with you!

Mom said...

Love how it looks and that it holds special memories of doing this together with Monica as well as Naomi's hospital nursery room where she was well cared for. :) Love, Mom

kelseylynae said...

Love the banner and Nathan's hair back then and your comment about the cost ;). I also enjoyed your post about spending time with Monica ... I can relate-- time with Kali is like time with no other friend. Hope you're all doing well!

Kristin said...

Adorable! And it's always more fun to do those projects with a sister!!

Leah in Iowa said...

That turned out really cute, Carrie!

Katie said...

Darling! It was great before and love the fun makeover too!