Saturday, June 30, 2012

Nutrition, take 2

I so enjoyed the comments you left regarding eating healthy, and wanted to follow up with some responses to what you had to say.

*We frequently eat muffins or breads that have banana/pumpkin puree and/or shredded zucchini, and I honestly haven't considered that contributing to our daily intake of fruits and veggies. I think it's because if it's in a baked good it doesn't seem "pure" enough to count. In a similar vein, the booklet I was given at the workshop listed dry fruit and canned fruits and veggies under serving sizes, and said that all forms (fresh/frozen/canned/dried/100% juice) count. But I guess I'm troubled by the fact that if you read the nutrition stats on the back of those packages, much of what you see are zeros. Another example is commercial applesauce. While it is obviously fruit-based, it lacks the nutrition of whole apples, and I find it hard to count it as a serving of fruit. Hmmm . . . thoughts from anyone else on this?

* I just came across a post about getting kids to eat more veggies, so thought I would share the link here since it was so well-timed. One thing it reminded me of is that sometimes we need to try something more than once to see if we actually like it. I didn't think my kids liked sweet potatoes, and they may not in certain forms. But when I made homemade sweet potato fries recently, they gobbled them up.

*Several people sent spinach smoothie ideas. Thanks. I look forward to trying some of them!

*I noticed a slogan ("more matters") on a bag of carrots and decided to look it up for more info. What a great resource for recipes, tips and just general information about fruits and veggies. I encourage you to check it out! There is a program that teaches kids about eating more fruits and vegetables, and you can print out lots of games and handouts here. There's even an interactive site for kids with some great activities.

Thanks for your comments on this topic. It's interesting and inspiring!

4 comments:

Ginger said...

Carrie, I do Weight Watchers, probably "the" most respected weight loss company. In terms of fruits and veggies, they consider fresh, frozen, or canned (not in sugar but natural juices) as a *free* food food where points do not have to be counted. Dried fruits would have to count points for. So, that is how I judge whether something counts as a daily serving. I would not count such put into baked breads but I would spaghetti sauces because the baking changes it.

angie said...

I have recently experimented with adding spinach and/or carrot juice to our smoothies. Please let us know if you particularly like any of the recipes given to you.

Debra said...

I agree with you about the fruit in breads/muffins. I don't count it as a fruit serving but I much prefer my us to eat a banana muffin than a chocolate chip one! I rarely by commercially baked breads/muffins, etc but make them quite a bit and feel okay serving them. But we still have fruit for breakfast even if we have a banana muffin.

As far as store bought applesauce goes, I buy the single serving containers that are 'natural'- just apples, water & asorbic acid (vitamin C). I do count them as a fruit serving although we don't eat them on a daily basis - I would much rather eat/serve a fresh apple. But they come in handy for school lunches (I send 1 fruit & 1 veg for lunch)- easy to pack & don't need refrigeration. Also when I am out of fresh fruit (like the day before I do grocery shopping) they fill that void. And they're a good snack when I want something sweet. :)

I agree that we often need to serve a veggie more than once (sometimes 5 or 6 times). Lots of times just changing how we cook it makes it a favorite. Sweet potatoes are a favorite around here.

As you can tell, I love this topic!

Emily said...

Carrie, I love it that you are posting about nutrition; it is my profession. Here are my thoughts...
*fruit servings-zucchini or banana bread probably don't contain enough of the fruit/veg to count as a true half cup serving (ex: 2 cups of the veg in the recipe, divide by the number of servings) but it still provides more nutrients than a 'plain' version. On the applesauce-you are losing fiber with applesauce but it is still real apples. As it gets into summer, I'd rather eat applesauce that was made soon after harvest than 'fresh' apples that have been in storage since the previous fall.
*'More Matters' is a great health promotion. That have great resources on their website. The research shows that eating more fruits and vegetables helps reduce so many diseases. We all (including myself) do need to eat more--in all forms! Another website you may want to check out is www.kidseatright.org