Friday, June 22, 2012

Recipe round-up

 
I seem to go in spells when I am interested in trying new recipes. I am currently on one of those kicks, and wanted to share some we've recently enjoyed.

Not the healthiest recipe in the world, but I was intrigued by Dorito Chicken Casserole from my new friend Lisa (I omitted the tomatoes.) I had just bought a bag of Doritos for just $2, so it was a good time to try this. It won't make our top-20 list, but everyone liked it.

This isn't really a recipe, but the "watermelon" PB&J from the latest issue of Family Fun magazine is a creative twist on the old classic. Easy to make and the kids thought it was fun. (I couldn't find a link, but you put strawberry jam on top of a triangle-shaped peanut butter sandwich and add raisins for seeds. Green grapes create the rind.)

Our community garden has an abundance of rhubarb and mint that members can help themselves to. My favorite way to use rhubarb is rhubarb strawberry crunch. But a woman from our church also shared a unique rhubarb syrup recipe:

Simmer one cup of diced rhubarb in a little bit of water until soft. Add one small box of strawberry Jello powder and stir. Makes a tasty syrup for pancakes, waffles or ice cream.

As for the mint, I thought it would be neat to make some tea. I stuck about 2 dozen mint leaves in 4 cups of boiling water and let it steep for 15 minutes. Then I added a tablespoon of sugar. It was delicious! I plan to dry some additional mint and freeze it so I can make mint tea this winter.

My other experiMINT (Ha!) was a fruit salad that contained grapes, strawberries and mango (Only the 2nd time I've ever bought a mango--wow, are they hard to cut! I had to watch a YouTube video to figure it out.) The dressing is made of simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water), a splash of almond extract, and a bit of diced fresh mint. Very unusual flavor, and something we all liked for something different, but we didn't love it.

Another entree we just tried was pasta with white bean sauce.Mine didn't thicken up as expected, so we ate it in bowls. The flavor was delicious, and I liked finding another meatless meal to add to our repertoire, especially since it's a pasta dish Eric and I can both eat. (I usually make two sauces: marinara for me and alfredo with beef for him.)

I also recently tried a "green" smoothie for the second time. I know a lot of people like them, but I haven't found a version I like. This one contained vanilla yogurt, milk, ice, spinach, lime juice and a banana. If you have a green smoothie you think is delicious, I'd be interested to keep trying. Thanks.

Have you tried any new recipes lately?

7 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

The mint tea sounds yummy - I've done that before too! And, no - I guess I haven't really tried any new recipes lately. Didn't realize until I read your post!

Katie said...

Fun post, Carrie! I definitely want to try that pasta with beans recipe ~ it almost reminds me of one you've posted before with pesto, Great Norther beans, and pasta?? I loved that one! I haven't tried any new green smoothies but have been inspired by some new ones I've found online. If I like any, I'll let you know. =) Another surprise, we have a rhubarb plant growing in our backyard. We harvested less than a gallon bag, but I'm anxious to make something with it.

Have a great weekend!

Carrie said...

I made BBQ sauce out of rhubarbs. Sounds weird, doesn't it? But it actually tastes DELICIOUS! (I used the Ball Canning recipe. It worked perfectly.)

Kristin said...

I'm in serious need of new recipes! Your kids must be very adventurous eaters...I don't think I would attempt rhubarb here!

Lisa said...

Carrie,

I am one of those annoying people who do not leave comments for the most part. Here is a link to a spring green smoothie. All 4 of my kids love this recipe! http://www.nourishingmeals.com/2009/04/spring-green-smoothie.html Let me know if you like it. Also, I have a cannelloni bean and onion pasta recipe which is a good one on busy evenings. Let me know in your comments if you want it too.

Lisa

*carrie* said...

Thanks for your comment and the smoothie link, Lisa. I would be interested in trying the bean and onion recipe.

Mom said...

You've been busy!! :) I don't think I'll ever be willing to try a green smoothie -- just can't get past the spinach...
Love you lots, Mom