Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The end of summer

A couple months ago I posted an ABC list of summer activities. Out of the 26 activities, we did 22, which I felt pretty good about, especially since we went on a 3-week trip and all of my listed activities were done at/near home.

Here's a report on how things went, interspersed with some commemorative photos:

A--- park (park in a nearby town just to mix things up a bit): Nice change of scenery
Bowling (via the Kids Bowl Free program): Eric took the older two. Natalie scored a 95 with bumpers! =)
Camping: This was the one thing I changed from the original list--Eric took the older two tent camping and they had a great time!
Dot-to-dot book: My kids love activity books like these, but I try to spread them out as they can go through them pretty quickly.
Excavating in ice: This took as much time to prep as to play with (Isn't that often the case?!), but the kids did have fun, especially Nathan, who was more aggressive when it came to digging.
 
Flour "I Spy" (hiding toys in a bin of flour and letting kids hunt for them): This is one we didn't do. I confess I just didn't feel like making a mess!
Game marathon: Nathan, Natalie and I each picked out a game and then we all played them. Nathan picked Sequence for Kids (a huge hit here!), Natalie chose Chutes and Ladders, and I chose Hi Ho Cherry-o.
Hide and seek: This was one of the first things we did, and it was a perfect example of the success of the list. In a moment where the kids couldn't find something to do, I consulted the list, and offered this suggestion. Fun times.
Ice cream shop: We have a new ice cream shop downtown, so I thought it would be fun to check it out with the kids.
Jump on trampoline: We have a mini trampoline that we keep in our basement, but I pulled it outside one day when the kids needed a little energy-busting.
Kite flying: Aunt Monica sent Nathan a kite, and we hadn't had a chance to try it out yet. Eric took him out for a little outing.
Lunch outside: I used this as a reward one morning when Nathan and Natalie had played exceptionally well together. We walked to a nearby grassy area and had a simple picnic.
Movie theater (Our local theater usually shows some free summer movies.): Bummer--our theater didn't have free movies this year! Natalie's never been to the theater, so I kept checking the titles but didn't see anything I thought was appropriate for all of us to go to.
Naomi gifts (Before we went to the hospital, we purchased a gift for each of the older kids "from" Naomi. We still have them wrapped and waiting!): The gift to Natalie was the aforementioned Sequence for Kids; Nathan's gift was a new Lego set.
Olympics (I thought we'd have a mini-Olympics sometime during the actual games.): Well, we didn't do any Olympic activities, but we certainly watched a lot of them on TV. And since I made Olympic cake, I'm totally counting that.
Pinaqua: This was a super fun activity to set up with the neighbor kids on a hot day when the kids were a little restless. I think we did it 6 times, and they still begged for more!
Quizno's (We have a gift card there, so it would be a fun lunch out sometime.): We picked up some lunch and had an indoor picnic due to rain.
Rodeo: Eric took the older two to a rodeo in our region. The kids loved it, especially the parade beforehand and riding ponies.
Sugar cookies: Just a fun treat for the kids to help make.
Trains: This is something we didn't get to. Nathan has a very big train set, and I thought one day we'd get everything out and play it together.
Umbrella walk on a rainy day: Due to the drought, it seemed this would never happen. But a couple weeks ago, we had a perfect, light summer rain on a Saturday morning. We only have two umbrellas, so the girls shared. Now we just need to get Natalie an umbrella--pink, of course!
Van movie (watching a movie in the van): I thought this would be really fun, and it was for about 5 minutes, about the time it took to set up the movie and make popcorn. Then both kids decided they didn't want to do it. Oh, well!
Water balloons: This was funny, mostly because Natalie's not so adept at catching, which meant she got the most wet!
Xplorers baseball game (nearby minor league team): Eric took the older kids for Father's Day.
Yogurt popsicles: I'd seen the idea on Pinterest to put yogurt in cookie cutters and freeze. The kids loved these!
Zoo: This is the 4th thing that just didn't happen. My consolation was that the kids had gone in the spring after we got home with Naomi.

I don't know that I would do the alphabetized list every summer, but I definitely liked having a list of activities to aim for, and to have in my back packet when some inspiration was needed!

5 comments:

Mom said...

Wow -- lots of summer fun! And lots of new memories :) Love to all, Mom/Grammie

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a fun summer, Carrie.

Please allow me to get the pink umbrella for Natalie for Christmas, if you don't already have plans to do it.

Love you, Grandma

thehomespunheart said...

FUN list and I'm super impressed at how many you completed! :)

Carrie said...

22 out of 26 is not bad AT ALL! WOW! I'm very impressed.

Sequence for Kids is a big hit around these parts as well. And I know - my personal Olympic game ideas never came to pass but we had fun with the Olympics in other ways.

Sounds like a fun summer!

Katie said...

This is AWESOME, Carrie!!! What a blessing to your family for such planning on your part! I think I'm going to refer back to this list for ideas for next year. =)

I'm SO behind in the bloggy world ~ just thought I'd take a moment to do a little catching up.

Hope you and your family are doing great, friend!

Blessings,
Katie