Tuesday, September 4, 2012

New flavors

I've mentioned that I go in spurts of being creative in the kitchen and trying new things. I've made several interesting recipes lately that I wanted to share:

* Salad pizza--I came across the idea in this interesting book.Basically, you make a cheese pizza, and after it bakes, you top it with a salad of lettuce, tomato and onion that's been tossed with vinaigrette. Of course I'm the only one in our family who ate it, but I thought it was delicious! Many of us eat salad as a side dish to pizza--now you can try it as a topping!

*Ice cream mixed with peanut butter--This was listed as a quick dessert idea in a recent Martha, and it couldn't be simpler. Soften small vanilla ice cream, and stir in a spoonful of peanut butter. Of course, I also had to toss in a small handful of M&M's, because aren't chocolate and peanut butter a divine combination? After savoring this fabulous dessert, I realized how silly it is to pay a premium for ice creams with "mix-ins." Just do it yourself. Yum.

*Watermelon tomato salad--Hang with me here. We've had an abundance of tomatoes in our garden, and we were given two large homegrown watermelons from a friend. I was curious to see if I could combine the two to use what I had, especially since we had two potlucks to attend in the same weekend. Lo and behold, I came across several versions of a salad that called for both tomatoes and watermelon. And you know what? It was very refreshing. I used about 4 cups of diced watermelon, 2 cups of tomatoes, one small diced onion, and several chopped basil leaves. I added an easy dressing of 1 part red wine vinegar to 2 parts olive oil, and mixed it all together. The salad was a hit at the potluck, and I was thrilled to use what I had on hand and try an adventurous new recipe.

*Venison burgers--I'm guessing that I'm one of the few with a supply of fresh venison, but these could easily be made with ground beef for a departure from a plain hamburger. I mixed one pound of ground venison with 2 T. bread crumbs, 1 T. minced onion and 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce. Then I used my vintage hamburger press (handed down from Eric's grandma) to shape the burgers before freezing to help them hold together. I also made a white bean burger since I don't eat red meat, but I didn't give them rave reviews like Eric did of the venison ones, so I won't share that recipe here.

*Bean blender brownies--I'd heard of mixing a can of black beans with a packaged brownie mix, but this was a new proposition.Chickpeas in brownies? Give them a try. They're healthy and yummy. I made them recently for an event I named Bean Night. We've been really into this game lately, so we invited a few friends over and played it while consuming a buffet of bean-based snacks that included these tasty treats.

And for the less adventurous, here are a couple less exotic recipes I've tried recently: a delicious chicken marinade and this fabulous ice cream dessert!

Let me know if you try any of these!

5 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm glad you're enjoying some of "my" recipes :) Hope things are going well for you and your family as you settle into the school routine. My kids went back today, and let me tell you, setting my alarm to 5:30PM instead of 5:30AM is definitely not a good way to start out the school year! ugh.

thehomespunheart said...

Ok, I'm all over the pb and choc thing - but you can pretty much count me out for the rest! :) Good for you for trying new and interesting things!

angie said...

We recently tried a recipe with watermelon, mint, and feta. Delish and refreshing!
I think I would like raw veggies/greens on top of my pizza for the crunch.

Mom said...

Good for you for trying new things, especially using what you have in abundance. :) Love you, Mom

Carrie said...

Yes! I have heard of beans substituted for oil in recipes. (Also applesauce. I substitute with applesauce a lot.)

Ever tried taco pizza?! Use refried beans, lettuce, tomatoes and sprinkle with tortilla chips once it's out of the oven. OH yummy!