Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pasta

I decided this summer that I wanted to try to make homemade pasta, and we have an experienced friend who was willing to come over and teach us. What a fascinating process! We mixed together semolina flour, eggs, water, and white wine, and kneaded the dough for a looong time. While the dough was resting, we made a ravioli filling that consisted of minced chicken and veggies (onion, carrot, celery) sauteed in olive oil, along with some ricotta, fresh Parmesan, a little wine and an egg yolk. We also made two homemade sauces, alfredo for Eric, and a mouthwatering marinara for the rest of us.

The kids got in on the action of passing the dough through the pasta machine to help make fettuccine noodles, and I tried my hand at assembling the ravioli.


It took 2 1/2 hours to make the pasta and sauces, and the end result was delectable! I'd made homemade bread earlier in the day, along with a salad, which were the perfect complements to our fresh entrees.
Not something I would take the time and effort for ordinarily, but that was the point: to try something new and make an extraordinary meal.

Have you ever made pasta?

8 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Ooooh! Good for you and looks yum! I've never tried homemade pasta :)

Lisa said...

I've never made homemade pasta, but I'm always up for "make-your-own" anything. Would you mind sharing any of those recipes? Maybe for the fettucine pasta and both of the sauces? If they are online you can just email me the link, otherwise, no rush b/c it's lots of typing :)

Wendi said...

I love homemade pasta! I don't make it often because of time, but when I do... yum!!

erin said...

how fancy! So glad it turned out well, will you try it again? I tried once last year to make pasta and I ended up throwing it in the trash -- total fail!

Leah in Iowa said...

Oh, that brings back fond memories! Several years ago, I helped teach English to a group of Mennonite ladies here in my small town. As a way to say thank you when some of them moved away, they put on a "feast" for us! They made a delicious cookie that I've not tasted the likes of since, homemade fried chicken, and homemade pasta for their Noodle Soup. I imagine it would be quite the comedy trying to make it like they did in my own kitchen, but they all had their own jobs, worked well together, and had a ton of fresh noodles made in very short order. It made me wanna go out and buy a pasta machine!

Katie said...

Wow, Carrie, that's awesome! I imagine it was delicious!! What a fun project. I never have made pasta, despite my mother giving me a whole book on the subject! Thinking I should dig it out of our moving boxes!! =)

Kristin said...

Wow! That was a labor of love! I'm very impressed and will just take your word for it on how good it was!

Mom said...

Yummy fun! :)
Love, Mom