Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Stuck

A couple of months ago my friend, Kelsey, wrote a post about her intense fear of dogs. Kelsey babysat regularly for us when she was in college a few years ago, and we knew to put Reggie downstairs when she came over, but I never realized the extent of her fear until reading her recent piece. At the end of her post, she asked others to share their own irrational fears, and I left the following comment:

"I feel similarly about flying. The crazy thing is that in my twenties I flew a ton. Three times to France, Hawaii, lots of trips to CO and other places to visit family.

It's now been 4 1/2 years since I was on a plane and I don't know when I will again. Obviously, as in your situation, I can't avoid flying forever. Especially since we have family on either coast. But I get the same kinds of panic you described when even thinking about being on an airplane. And like you, I've never had a really bad experience. But I AM claustrophobic, so that has a lot to do with it. I'm terrified, for example, of the teeny tiny plane bathrooms
."

Kelsey and I had a follow-up email exchange, and I told her I would blog sometime about my irrational--but very real--fear of flying, and more specifically of getting stuck in an airplane (or other small) bathroom. I just re-read what I'd written here, and I acknowledge that the whole thing probably sounds silly, but I ask you to at least respect my honesty and vulnerability, if nothing else.

I'm not really sure what else to add, though I suppose while I'm on the subject, I should also say that I really hate elevators. When we were in the hospital for so long last winter, and I was in a wheelchair to get around, I had to just deal with it. But once I was discharged and we were in and out all the time visiting Naomi in the NICU, I took the stairs whenever possible. Once again, it goes back to a fear of getting stuck in an enclosed space.

Just another little note: I remember reading on Posie Gets Cozy a few years ago that she turned down a speaking engagement in New Hampshire (She lives in Oregon) due to her fear of flying. I felt sad for her, but understood, and appreciated her willingness to admit her fear, especially since she has thousands of blog readers!

6 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

I do not love flying either. I have an irrational fear of getting sick which translates into lots of probiotics and hand washing for my littles :) I also have an irrational fear of bugs and creepy things. Just. ask. anyone.

Katie said...

Thanks for this transparent post, Carrie. I don't share these particular fears with you, but I sure will be praying about any future encounters you may have with these situations! =)

There are a couple of anxiety-inducing situations that I can think of that I've experienced: driving through mountains with very steep cliffs and little or no guard rails (what is that all about??), tensing up at public beaches/pools ~ I just don't function well in these settings, and the injection of needles. I can get immunizations and give blood (and I never thought I had an issue), but there have been numerous times now that physically I experience anxiety ~ my BP drops, everything goes white, my hearing ceases ~ and this has been whether me or someone else is experiencing the injection. Crazy but true!

Ok, I'm going to try to go post this comment. Your title for this post "Stuck" seems to be what my comments have been! Here it goes.

Katie said...

Yay, it worked!!

Stephanie S. said...

My somewhat irrational, recurring fear is that I will die in a car accident. I think this stems from my experience in undergrad in which several people I knew were in very bad accidents. Fatal, for three people.

I fly regularly, and it doesn't scare me since I know it is the safest way to travel. It's the driving 17 miles each way to work amongst some of the scariest, craziest drivers (Boston) that scares me. I have witnessed several accidents, been in one, and encountered the scene of numerous others. I also travel through some tunnels, and that is the scariest, as I can just picture cars ricocheting in that enclosed space.

So yeah, if my end comes in a vehicle, at least you know I will have expected it.

Mom said...

This post brought back memories of childhood fears (for me as well as for you and Monica) including some memorable situations (the pig barn at the county fair comes to mind!). I think my biggest fear is of drowning -- I hate deep water. The experience you had about 10 years ago did not help that fear at all! Thanks for sharing -- love you lots, Mom

kelseylynae said...

Brent and I have seriously talked about possibly seeking out some help for me…we'll see.

I'm glad you posted this!

[Oh and I am pretty sure as well that you are the one that got my entire family hooked on the immersion blender :-) … Last night I made cream of potato soup with it and it was entirely too easy- I felt like I was cheating!]