Monday, November 26, 2012

Getting to know you

Last week, my blog friend Carrie posted a request to get to know her readers better through a survey she wrote. It sounded like fun to me, so I am responding to her questions here and linking up on her blog.

1. Do you attend church and, if so, what denomination are you a part of?


Our family is active in a Reformed church, similar to the Presbyterian denomination in which I grew up.

2. What social issue are you the most passionate about?

I hate waste of any kind. On a different plane, I am deeply trouble by domestic abuse.

3. Do you home school/use the public system or enroll your kids in private school? Any particular reason why?

For now at least, we have decided to have our children attend public school, and we are blessed to live in an excellent district.

4. How long have you been married? How many kids do you have, or want to have? Have you ever thought of adopting, or have you?

Eric and I have been married for 7 years, and we have 3 kids. When I was younger, I always imagined having a big family (5 kids), but I no longer think that's meant to be.


5. What is your greatest personality strength? Weakest?

I like that I am conscientious. I don't like that I over-think everything.

6. What is your favorite Bible verse or passage? Why?

Isaiah 41:9-10 "I took you from the ends of the earth,
    from its farthest corners I called you.
I said, ‘You are my servant’;
    I have chosen you and have not rejected you.
So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
  I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

I need to be reminded that I am chosen, that God is with me and I don't need to fear, and that I can trust Him to help and strengthen me in all things.

7. What is your real name? What does it mean?
 My name, Carrie, means strength. It also means "song of joy."


The second set of questions:
1. What do you like best about your family?
That we are all Christians seeking to grow in faith and wisdom.

2. What's your favorite color? Why?

Hard to pick just one! I like blues, greens, raspberry pink and charcoal gray.

3. Are you a bold and trendy dresser, or are clothes "not your thing?"

Neither. I am definitely not trendy, but I don't like looking slouchy, either. I am most comfortable in jeans, a t-shirt and a cardigan.

4. Are you a foodie? What makes you love food so?

My tastes are certainly not gourmet, but I love food, and I eat more than most females I know.

5. If you were to write a book, what genre would it be? (Let's throw in a book question!)

Probably a book on stewardship, though I've not given the book possibility much thought. However, I wrote profusely in my teenage/collegeyears--filling books with songs and poems, and I even wrote a couple of (very cheesy!) brief novels at the tender age of 8.

6. What is your favorite thing about where you live (country, neighborhood, etc.)? Least?
Having grown up in a mid-size city, I always thought I was a city girl. But when I went to college in a small Midwestern town, I learned that I really prefer small town life. I love being able to easily accomplish errands by walking or biking, and I think this is a safe, friendly place to raise children. However, it definitely has its drawbacks. One of them being far from family, as well as remote in terms of no major airport and fewer choices for shopping/recreation. (Although, that is something we often appreciate, as we spend less money when we're not bombarded by places to spend it!)

7.  What is your idea of the perfect day?
Sleeping in--even 8:00 would be luxurious! Reading, spending time outside, hanging out with loved ones, eating good food, and accomplishing at least one productive task.

Thanks for these thought-provoking questions, Carrie. I look forward to reading other responses. And for those of you who read here regularly, I'd love to hear your thoughts regarding how I answered these--or sharing how you would respond to them.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

Fun! Loved reading your post. I like how your favorite colors go together so nicely (raspberry pink and charcoal gray). That's a really pretty combo.

The verse you shared (Isaiah 41:9-10) was one that I held on to when giving birth to Bookworm1!

And you shared the meaning of our name so now I don't have to. :)

I grew up in a larger city but I do LOVE the small town we live in now. It's a university town (yours is also, right?) and so it gives it culture and activities. But just the right amount and no more! All errands are easily accomplished and it is a very safe place for families and kids. I sympathize with you there for sure! I'm definitely a small town girl! (Noted trade offs being the airport.)

Thanks for playing along!

Barbara H. said...

I can so identify with being conscientious but overthinking everything. And I quoted the Isaiah passage in my answers, too?

A perfect day for me is definitely one that begins without an alarm clock.

Cassandra said...

Sleeping in is definitely the perfect start to a perfect day! ;) I love the variety of texts I'm reading in the posts. There are so many beautiful promises in the Bible.

Katie said...

Oh, this was fun, Carrie! These are some of my favorite kinds of posts because I love learning what other people like.

Love your answer to what you like best about your family ~ Amen! That indeed is something be thankful for! Love the meaning of your name ~ think strength and joy are very fitting descriptions of you! Your description of colors is so fun ~ you would be good at naming paint or nail polish! =) If you ever write a book on stewardship, I'd be delighted to have a signed copy and in the spirit of the subject intended, I would of course read and treasure it and pass it on and encourage them to pass it on... =)
Love your favorite Bible passage ~ what a promise!

I hope you are feeling and recovering well, Carrie.

Thankful for you~
Katie

Mom said...

I always love reading your answers to questions like this! :) Love you, Mom