Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Festivities

Oh, I do love all the festivities this time of year. We have lots of fun things planned this month, and earlier this week, Eric and I had a special treat for our annual Christmas date.

A couple of months ago, I heard on the radio about a wonderful concert coming to a city nearby. I hemmed and hawed about buying tickets--I wasn't sure how I'd feel 3 weeks post-surgery (I'm doing great!), I didn't know who would watch our kiddos for such a long time (Some friends offered over a year ago to watch our kids, and the dates finally lined up!), I was concerned weather might be an issue (Ahem, we've been in the 50's for a week!) and I wasn't sure about spending so much money (Eric received some extra funds for a special project he worked on). As you can see, things worked out even better than I could have hoped for. And I even found a Groupon at a restaurant across the street from the concert venue, which gave us a yummy and frugal option for dining out beforehand.

Many big names in Christian music were part of the project, and in an uncharacteristic move, I bought the CD set off of Amazon so I could learn the songs before attending. (Humorously, Eric did NOT want to listen to the CD's before the concert--he said he wanted to be surprised!)

The music is beautiful, and tells the story of major characters from the Bible. For example, there is a song written from the perspective of such figures as Abraham, Daniel, Esther, Jesus and Paul. The discs are divided into the Old and New Testaments. My favorite song from the Old Testament section is a duet sung by Naomi and Ruth (Amy Grant and Nichole Nordeman, two of my long-time faves!), and in the New Testament, the first song sung by Mary (Francesca Battistelli) is gorgeous and poignant, especially this time of year. I encourage you to go listen!

There are just a few concerts left on this tour--you can click here to see if they'll be in your neck of the woods.

We pulled out our Advent wreath this past Sunday, and I look forward to lighting a new candle each Sunday, along with a song and reading from Scripture.

On a daily basis, the kids are taking turns opening a Christmas book to be read after breakfast. I am building up a collection of 24 books, with an emphasis on the REAL reason for the season.

Hope you, too, are enjoying the festivities of this wonderful time of year!

7 comments:

kelseylynae said...

Okay forget the part of the email I just sent you asking about the concert! This sounds like a BEAUTIFUL CD/concert… some of my favorite singers as well.

I love the idea of building up a little Library of TRUE Christmas books as well. I would love for you to do a review at the end of the season with your favorites, as well as the kids' favorites.

erin said...

So glad you guys got to have such a special date! How fun! I heard that song by Francesca Battesteli (sp?) the other day in the car and was totally sobbing while I was driving! ahh! :)

Carrie said...

That sounds REALLY fun! Right up my alley!

Mom said...

So glad you enjoyed the concert and that we got to hear some of the music while we were there. :)

Love you, Mom

rmslil said...

I went last year and it was great.

thehomespunheart said...

Yay! So glad you got to go and that it was so enjoyable! Would you bring the cd with you for Christmas?
Love you, Monica

Katie said...

What a special Christmas date! :) I had never heard of this!

Thinking of your whole family at this time and wishing you a very Merry Christmas! Some greetings are headed your way. =)

Blessings to all~
Katie