Monday, January 21, 2013

Cleaning survey results, part 2

Continued from Friday's part 1 results post.

There was a wide variety of favorite cleaning products listed, and again I found the responses so interesting. If more than one person listed the same product, that is indicated in parentheses.

*microfiber mop
*baking soda and/or vinegar (9)
*Windex
*Mrs. Meyers (5)
*Bon Ami (3)
*Clorox Disinfecting Wipes (4)
*Shark Steam Mop
*Norwex cloths (3)
*Pine-sol (3)
*Mr. Clean (4)
 *Ajax
*Lysol
*Shaklee Basic H2 (2)
*Seventh Generation
*Old toothbrushes
 *Eco-orange and microfiber cloths
*Scrubbing Bubbles
*Dr. Bronner's castile soap
*e-cloth
*sponges with a scrubby side
*lambswool dust wand
*Dyson vacuum (2)
*Swiffer duster

I did not count my votes in the list, but rather underlined the products that I use on a regular basis. Reading that list makes me want to try baking soda and vinegar! (Feel free to share specifics in the comments if you use them.)

The last question was the most fun to read. Who knew y'all had so much to say about cleaning?! Here are the unedited survey responses when asked if you had anything else to share. =)

*I'm only one person in a house so my answers will probably skew the data! I do make my bed everyday. :)
*The reverse of #8 is my least favoite is when I clean but the spot/area still looks bad b/c it just needs to be repainted or replaced, :( I'm trying to get more into a regular cleaning rotation
*I have 4 kids and a dog that goes in and out and in and out and....
*We have no outdoor chores so my husband does the dusting and vacuuming weekly. I'm spoiled.
*Just recently read the directions for my front-loading washing machine, looking for a way to get rid of the mildewy smell. Turns out there's a filter on the front panel with simple instructions to be done at least monthly. Who knew!?
*Now that 3 of our kids are old enough to help, we try to do a little everyday and it really keeps things cleaner and gives them ownership. So even if I miss dusting one week overall the house is clean.
*Routines are helpful Monday - sheets, towels, and vacuum Tuesday - dust and mop Wednesday bathrooms etc
*I sweep the kitchen every day.I need to mop more often than I do!
*I clean enough to keep things looking okay, but I don't do thorough cleanings very often... a pediatrician once told me that germs and dust are good for kids. They build their immunity and protect them from allergies.
*I worry too much about having the house spotless at times!
*If you have things handy, like a spray bottle of cleaner in the bathroom and kitchen ready to go, and paper towels in there, it makes it easy to clean when you see something that needs cleaning.
*not a fan... and reading this survey makes me feel like a terrible housekeeper! lol Considering hubs & I probably clean/vaccum maybe every 3rd week (oh I feel like a slob now!) We both work full time and commute to our jobs, so that has to account for something right! lol
*I read this tip in a fly lady book from the library: "Housework, even poorly done, blesses my home." I tend to put things off if I can't do things perfectly or at least the way I want to do them.
*So excited to see you doing this! I had been wondering how my cleaning habits compared to others. I have a daughter with environmental allergies and so I have become more aware of my cleaning habits.
*If you have non carpet floors you will love a Shark Steamer. LOVE.
*I never really feel 'caught up' with cleaning projects, but I love the satisfaction of doing the job right. With that said, when can I get a maid? :)
*Since having my kids, my standards on cleaning keep going down. I don't clean as often as I'd like, but keep up enough so we're healthy. I DO, however, play with my kids more which is more important than cleaning. It's taken me years to get to this point, but I'm forever grateful for the Lord teaching me this great 
lesson.
*Though I sweep almost daily, I mop very infrequently...less than needs to be done! I need to get on more of a schedule for that.
*Dusting is the worst. I don't do it nearly enough…. but I would much rather dust than clean windows!!
*It's just me and my husband we have no children and we are both neat freaks so the house stays pretty clean.
*I have a 6 week rotating schedule that I follow for cleaning. some areas get cleaned weekly, whereas others are once every 6 week cycle.
*My kids are older, so things like sweeping don't have to happen as often as they used to.
*I clean my fridge out every two weeks--that's how often I grocery shop and it just makes sense to do it when the fridge is almost empty and before I add more to it.
*I love the FlyLady and try to generally follow her cleaning schedule.
*I clean my bathrooms 2x per week, but that only includes the sink/counter/mirror, and toilet. I do the showers and floors only every other week, and sometimes less if they don't look bad! You can always shut the shower curtain :) Also, with 4 females in the house, we have a LOT of hair, so that's why I have to vacuum 2-3 times per week or sometimes more!
*Sure, I'd love to share some of my cleaning with any willing volunteer! :)

----------
Isn't this stuff fascinating?! Thanks again for taking the time to respond, and for your honesty. Speaking of honesty, if you're curious what I was referring to the other day--I am TERRIBLE at changing sheets. I change them about every 6-8 weeks, unless there is an obvious "situation." (The norm on the survey was twice a month.) Are you grossed out now? Will you still be my friend?! And don't worry--if you're ever a guest in our home--this DOES NOT apply to guest sheets. =)

When it comes to my housework schedule, for years I've completed a certain task on a certain day. This system has worked great for me. On Mondays, I wash all the towels. Tuesdays, I menu plan because that's when the sale ads come out here. On Wednesdays, I clean the bathroom. Thursdays I sweep/mop. Fridays I don't assign a certain task so that I can catch up on the week if needed. Eric vacuums on Saturdays. I dust about every other week, but that is one of my least favorite tasks because I hate moving everything! I clean the kitchen on an as-needed basis.

I concur with another commenter who said they stay on top of general cleaning, but are not the most thorough. That is one of the things that prompted this survey, as someone recently commented that I am more of a quick cleaner and not a deep scrubber. This is absolutely true--I like cleanliness but also efficiency--and it made me wonder about how others do things. Now I have 46 opinions! =)

Similarly, I have been told before that I use *unusual* cleaning products, and that is what inspired the question about your favorite products. I was intrigued to see how many of you also use more natural products. My main exception is that I do like Lysol or Clorox wipes in the bathroom, especially if sickness is involved.

This survey was fun, and I'm glad so many of you joined in! Happy house cleaning!

4 comments:

thehomespunheart said...

Such an interesting array of cleaners! What do you use the castile soap for?

Mom said...

Interesting!
Love, Mom

Linds said...

This is fun! Very interesting.

Katie said...

Wow, that was fun to read all those comments! Think I'm going to have to check out FlyLady again. =) I agree about baking soda/vinegar ~ lots of uses that I forget sometimes. I've received some emails over the years with lots of ideas ~ going to have to research that again.

I noticed your survey was on Survey Monkey, and it mentioned something about creating surveys and generating money for charity?! Neat!

Snowing here today ~ yay!