Friday, January 25, 2013

Good, cheap fun

I wanted to share a couple of inexpensive activities Nathan and Natalie have enjoyed lately.

I am so glad my friend Kelly told me about bingo daubers from the Dollar Tree, which are essentially the same as the pricier dot markers. The store's color selection isn't as varied, though my mom observed that stores carry different colors. We have green, blue and purple. You can print off lots of free do-a-dot pictures--we've mostly used this site.
I also mixed up some colored rice, via an idea I saw on Pinterest. You can find the easy directions here. (She made like 28 cups of rice! I just made a couple cups, especially until I knew if the kids would enjoy playing with it.) I saw an idea in the comments to bake the rice on a low temp to speed the drying time, and that is what I did. It's fun to scoop the rice from one container to another, and the colors add a little novelty. It IS messy, though. I set out a towel underneath and that catches a lot of it, but not all!
Have you tried either of these activities? Feel free to share your own ideas for creative, inexpensive fun!

7 comments:

Wendi said...

Both of those have been done here. We love dot painting! Less mess then the real deal. Thanks for sharing the site as I hadn't been to that one.

I also have a couple bags of dried beans that I keep on hand for the kids. We scoop, measure and sometimes put them in a large, flat container and pull out the dump trucks and such to play in them.

thehomespunheart said...

We love those markers, but I think I'm too chicken to try the rice because of the messy factor. Although, perhaps something to do on the screened in porch?

Lisa said...

I'll have to try the rice idea. My almost-3-year-old loves to scoop and pour from one container to the next. A cheap idea we've done here is to use cookie sheets as personal magnet boards. We have a huge magnet collection (in a drawer, not cluttering my fridge front, b/c I can't handle that...)consisting of souvenirs, letter shapes, and contact information (for pizza places and such) so the kids have fun making different designs on their cookie sheets.

angie said...

My kids were the ages for these activities before Pinterest. I don't recall doing either of these activities, but homemade play dough and coffee filter snowflakes were good winter activities.

Mom said...

I'm glad the dot markers have been a hit :) -- never heard of the colored rice idea, but I'm glad it has been a hit, too! :) Love, Mom

theoklahomatexan said...

Fun ideas I'll need to tuck away for when Alex is a little older. I'd love to start some crafty fun with him, but I fear he would just try to eat whatever we do. Maybe we'll try making a Valentine for Daddy.

KellBell said...

I picked up 3 more colors at the dollar store last week so we're only missing yellow in our rainbow of colors. J is good at reminding me that I "need to get that one next time." Word of caution with the bingo daubers: they are not washable. Ours tend to bleed through one layer of paper so I usually put scrap paper down first.
We use beans here. I too have been chicken about the mess factor with rice. I pull the bean bucket out occasionally when making supper and it often buys me time to get the dishes done too!